Random experiment and sample space

In summary: So, as long as you keep increasing the "k" value, the probability of any given "element" of the "sample space" will keep decreasing (assuming that the "condition" of the experiment is always met).
Jonobro

Homework Statement

[/B]
Consider a random experiment with a sample space

S={1,2,3,⋯}.

Suppose that we know:

P(k) = P({k}) = c/(3^k) , for k=1,2,⋯,

where c is a constant number.
  1. Find c.
  2. Find P({2,4,6}).
  3. Find P({3,4,5,⋯})

Homework Equations

For any even A, P(A) ≥ 0.
Prbability of the sample space S is P(S) = 1.
If a1, a2, a3 are disjoint events, then P(a1∪a2∪a3∪...) = P(a1) + P(a2) + P(a3)...

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
If I plug in values for k, as k increases the probability will decrease.
P(k= 1) = c/3
P(k=2) = c/9
P(k=3) = c/27
However, I am not understanding two main things.
How am I supposed to know when k stops increasing, or does it go to infinity.
How am I supposed to find the c value without being given any other information?
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to calculate ##\sum_{k=1}^\infty (\frac{1}{3})^k##.
If you are being given this problem then you should have been taught how to find out the limit of an infinite geometric series, which is a standard technique in introductory calculus. Check your textbook, or perhaps the textbook for whatever maths courses were prior to this one. Or else just read the wikipedia article on geometric series, which explains how to do it.

Jonobro said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Consider a random experiment with a sample space

S={1,2,3,⋯}.

Suppose that we know:

P(k) = P({k}) = c/(3^k) , for k=1,2,⋯,

where c is a constant number.
  1. Find c.
  2. Find P({2,4,6}).
  3. Find P({3,4,5,⋯})

Homework Equations

For any even A, P(A) ≥ 0.
Prbability of the sample space S is P(S) = 1.
If a1, a2, a3 are disjoint events, then P(a1∪a2∪a3∪...) = P(a1) + P(a2) + P(a3)...

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
If I plug in values for k, as k increases the probability will decrease.
P(k= 1) = c/3
P(k=2) = c/9
P(k=3) = c/27
However, I am not understanding two main things.
How am I supposed to know when k stops increasing, or does it go to infinity.
How am I supposed to find the c value without being given any other information?
Any help is appreciated.

The value k never "stops". Do the integers (whole numbers) ever stop? Well, in this case the "sample space" consists of all the whole numbers ##\{ 1,2,3,\ldots \}##.

1. What is a random experiment?

A random experiment is a procedure or process that results in different outcomes, where the outcome cannot be predicted with certainty. Examples of random experiments include flipping a coin, rolling a dice, or drawing a card from a deck.

2. What is a sample space?

A sample space is the set of all possible outcomes of a random experiment. It is denoted by the symbol ω and can be represented using a list, a table, or a tree diagram. For example, if we roll a dice, the sample space would be {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6}.

3. How do you determine the number of outcomes in a sample space?

The number of outcomes in a sample space can be determined by counting the number of elements in the set. For example, if we roll a dice, the sample space has 6 outcomes, so the number of elements in the set is 6.

4. What is the difference between a simple event and a compound event?

A simple event is an outcome that consists of a single element in the sample space, while a compound event consists of more than one element in the sample space. For example, in flipping a coin, getting heads is a simple event, while getting either heads or tails is a compound event.

5. How is probability related to random experiments and sample space?

Probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring. In the context of random experiments and sample space, probability is used to determine the chances of a particular outcome or event happening. It is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes in the sample space.