Proving the Limit of x*sin(x) as x Approaches Infinity is Equal to 1

  • Thread starter Thread starter karkas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
karkas
Messages
131
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


The complete exercise is:

If [itex]\lim_{x->\inf } \frac{f(x)-5x^2sin(x)}{(\sqrt (x^2+2))-x} = 7[/itex]

show that [itex]\lim_{x->\inf} \frac{f(x)}{x} = 5[/itex]

Homework Equations


How do I show that [itex]\lim_{x->\inf} xsinx =1[/itex], because I run into it!

The Attempt at a Solution



I set K(x) = the fraction of the first limit and I solved for f(x) (x=0 excluded).

Then I have the limit [itex]\lim_{x->\inf} \frac{f(x)}{x} = \lim_{x->\inf} K(x)*0 + 5 xsinx[/itex].

Yet finally I reach the limit I spoke about in 2.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't, it eventually oscillates between +/- infinity. What exactly is f(x) in this context?
 
Random function. It doesn't specify... Any other solutions?
 
Maybe you're omitting part of the question?
If [itex] \lim_{x->\inf } \frac{f(x)-5x^2sin(x)}{(\sqrt (x^2+2))-x}[/itex]
doesn't say anything because you're only giving the condition. Does the limit = something? Is the question asking you to find f(x) such that [itex]\lim_{x->\inf} \frac{f(x)}{x} = 5[/itex]?
 
Yes indeed I'll fix it.

No, it just wants me to prove the second limit equals 5.