Proving the Salvage of a Divisibility Statement with Relatively Prime Numbers

  • Thread starter Thread starter DrAlexMV
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
DrAlexMV
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
In my Discrete Mathematics class we are are covering divisibility. One of the problems that the professor covered (quite terribly) is the following:

Homework Statement



Prove or salvage:

If a|bc, then a|b.

Homework Equations



Relevant concepts:

Relatively prime numbers
Divisibility

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that the statement is wrong as it is. I also know that in order to salvage the statement, I must say that a and c are relatively prime. The problem is that I do not know how to rigorously prove this.

Could somebody guide me in how to do this. Teach a man to fish!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the following fact: If gcd(a,c)=1, then ax+cy=1 for some integers x,y.