1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving the triangle inequality property of the distance between sets

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    Proving the "triangle inequality" property of the distance between sets

Here's the problem and how far I've gotten on it:

Untitled-3.png

If you are unfamiliar with that notation, S(A, B) = (A \ B) U (B \ A), which is the symmetric difference.

And D(A, B) = m^*(S(A, B)), which is the outer measure of the symmetric difference.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2
    Re: Proving the "triangle inequality" property of the distance between sets

Hm, can you show that [itex]m^*(A\backslash B)+m^*(B\backslash C)\ge m^*(A \backslash C)[/itex], same for [itex]m^*(B\backslash A)+[/itex]...

One question, is [itex]m^*[/itex] outer Jordan measure?

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note that A and B cannot be just "arbitrary subsets of an arbitrary set X". They must be measurable subsets of the measurable set X.

5. Mar 18, 2012 #4

m^* is Lebesgue Outer Measure.

I can see your point, but I'm copying the problem verbatim out of my textbook, and it uses "arbitrary subsets of an arbitrary set X." Would you say that is a mistake on the author's part?

6. Mar 19, 2012 #5

Ok.

Well, if [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are disjoint sets, then [itex]m^*(A\cup B)\le m^*(A)+m^*(B)[/itex].

You can prove this by definition Lebesgue Outer Measure.

7. Mar 19, 2012 #6

Well, I got really close. Using the fact that S(A, C) subset S(A, B) U S(B, C), I obtained the following:

close.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook