Proving the triangle inequality property of the distance between sets

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
jdinatale
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Proving the "triangle inequality" property of the distance between sets

Here's the problem and how far I've gotten on it:

Untitled-3.png


If you are unfamiliar with that notation, S(A, B) = (A \ B) U (B \ A), which is the symmetric difference.

And D(A, B) = m^*(S(A, B)), which is the outer measure of the symmetric difference.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Hm, can you show that [itex]m^*(A\backslash B)+m^*(B\backslash C)\ge m^*(A \backslash C)[/itex], same for [itex]m^*(B\backslash A)+[/itex]...

One question, is [itex]m^*[/itex] outer Jordan measure?
 


Note that A and B cannot be just "arbitrary subsets of an arbitrary set X". They must be measurable subsets of the measurable set X.
 


Karamata said:
Hm, can you show that [itex]m^*(A\backslash B)+m^*(B\backslash C)\ge m^*(A \backslash C)[/itex], same for [itex]m^*(B\backslash A)+[/itex]...

One question, is [itex]m^*[/itex] outer Jordan measure?

m^* is Lebesgue Outer Measure.

HallsofIvy said:
Note that A and B cannot be just "arbitrary subsets of an arbitrary set X". They must be measurable subsets of the measurable set X.

I can see your point, but I'm copying the problem verbatim out of my textbook, and it uses "arbitrary subsets of an arbitrary set X." Would you say that is a mistake on the author's part?
 


jdinatale said:
m^* is Lebesgue Outer Measure.

Ok.

Well, if [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are disjoint sets, then [itex]m^*(A\cup B)\le m^*(A)+m^*(B)[/itex].

You can prove this by definition Lebesgue Outer Measure.
 


Well, I got really close. Using the fact that S(A, C) subset S(A, B) U S(B, C), I obtained the following:

close.png