1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving this basic fact about the annihilator in abstract algebra

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting the question, I'm not sure how to prove that n_0 i = 0.

aaa_zps530385fc.png

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't get why you multiply both on the left and on the right. I would think that all modules here are left R-modules. So you should always multiply with R on the left. In particular, we have

[tex]A=\{m\in M~\vert~im=0~\text{for all}~i\in R\}[/tex]

and so on.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    Because my book defines the annihilator of X in Y as [tex]A=\{y\in Y~\vert~yx =0~\text{for all}~x\in X\}[/tex]

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And what are X and Y?

6. Apr 17, 2013 #5
    "If X is a submodule of M, the annihilator of X in Y is defined to be..."

Here X is a submodule and Y is the ring, the "R" in the R-module.

7. Apr 17, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, so if you say "the annihalator of I in M", then how does this fit this definition??

In your definition, you have "the annihalator of [some submodule] in [ring]". But if you write "the annihalator of I in M", then I see "the annihaltor of [some ideal] in [module]". Of course an ideal is a module too, but the problem remains that this doesn't fit the definition. So I think there should have been another definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted