1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving something is commutative in abstract algebra

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1
    If [itex]\ast : (f \ast g)(n) = \sum\limits_{d|n}f(d)g(\frac{n}{d})[/itex], show that [itex]\ast[/itex] is commutative. Note that [itex]d|n[/itex] says [itex]d[/itex] divides [itex]n[/itex]. Now I was not sure how to do this from an abstract algebra point of view although when I stare at it my though process was to maybe rewrite it somehow, which will then be easier to show its commutative.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex]d|n[/itex] then there exists a unique positive integer [itex]c[/itex] such that [itex]cd = n[/itex].

4. Oct 11, 2013 #3
    start by writing down g*f(n).

5. Oct 11, 2013 #4
    I understand what you mean pasmith, but I dont see how that would help show it is commutative.

6. Oct 11, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put, say n=6. Write out the sum f*g(6). Then write out g*f(6). Can you see why they are equal? That's what pasmith's hint is leading to.

7. Oct 11, 2013 #6
    Okay if that is the case, would the following proof show that it is commutative:

[itex](f \ast g)(n) = \sum\limits_{d|n}f(d)g(\frac{n}{d}) = \sum\limits_{d|n}f(\frac{n}{c})g(c) = \sum\limits_{d|n}g(c)f(\frac{n}{c}) = (g \ast f)(n)[/itex]

8. Oct 11, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By itself, it doesn't make any sense. You have to work in the statement of how d is related to c and supply a few words of explanation.

9. Oct 11, 2013 #8
    [itex] (f \ast g)(n) = \sum\limits_{d|n}f(d)g(\frac{n}{d})[/itex].

Note that if [itex]d|n [/itex] then their exists a [itex] c [/itex] such that [itex] n = cd [/itex]. Then [itex] d = \frac{n}{c} [/itex] and [itex] c = \frac{n}{d} [/itex]. Substituting above gives us:

[itex] \sum\limits_{d|n} f(\frac{n}{c})g(c) [/itex]

Now from here how would I word it to explain why [itex] \sum\limits_{d|n}f(\frac{n}{c})g(c) = \sum\limits_{d|n}g(c)f(\frac{n}{c}) [/itex]?

10. Oct 11, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to explain why the set of divisors of n, and the set of numbers n/d where d is a divisor of n are exactly the same set of numbers.

11. Oct 11, 2013 #10
    Because if you consider the set of divisors of [itex] n [/itex] which are [itex] cd [/itex], and you substitute [itex] \frac{n}{d} [/itex] in for [itex] c [/itex] then you get that [itex] n = (\frac{n}{d})d = n [/itex].

12. Oct 11, 2013 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so if you sum f(d)*g(n/d) over all the divisors of n, then if you substitute the variable c=n/d (which also runs over all divisors of n) then you get the sum f(n/c)*g(c). There is a one-to-one correspondence between d and c.

13. Oct 11, 2013 #12
    But since we have that [itex] n [/itex] and [itex] \frac{n}{d} [/itex] are essentially the same set of numbers then then [itex] \frac{n}{c} [/itex] and [itex] c [/itex] are the same set of numbers so we can commute them and nothing will change/

14. Oct 12, 2013 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Summing over the divisors of 6, {1,2,3,6} then f*g(6)=f(1)g(6)+f(2)g(3)+f(3)g(2)+f(6)g(1) and g*f(6)=g(1)f(6)+g(2)f(3)+g(3)f(2)+g(6)f(1). Of course, they are the same. You can match up each term in one sum with the corresponding one in the second.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted