1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving this series converges or diverges

1. Jul 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove [itex] y_n=\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n+2}+...+\frac{1}{2n} [/itex] where [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] is convergent or divergent.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am stuck on this. I think its divergent but I am having trouble proving that it is divergent. I tried to break up the sequence using partial sums but I don't see a pattern. What I also don't get is what [itex]y_1[/itex] is equal too. Is it [itex]y_1=\frac{1}{1+1}+\frac{1}{1+2}+...+\frac{1}{2*1} [/itex] or is it equal to [itex]y_1=\frac{1}{1+1} [/itex]? I've been stuck for quite a while.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2013 #2
    From what I understand, it looks like this:
    $$y_n=\sum_{k=n+1}^{2n}\frac{1}{k}.$$
    That help?

4. Jul 6, 2013 #3
    Yes but how would I go about proving it is divergent. I was thinking of using [itex] \frac{1}{n^2}+...+\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] since [itex] \frac{1}{n+1}+...+\frac{1}{2n}>\frac{1}{n^2}+...+\frac{1}{n^2} [/itex]?{Edit*I don't think it works}. I was thinking of using [itex] \frac{1}{n+1}+...+\frac{1}{n+1}[/itex]. I don't think the way you wrote the series works. I think the limits have to be adjusted.

5. Jul 6, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that doesn't work. Since the denominators are all "of order n", it would be better to compare the terms to 1/n (or your suggestion 1/(n+1)). For all i between 1 and n, [itex]1/(n+i)\ge 1/(2n)[/itex]

6. Jul 6, 2013 #5
    I...don't think so. Check again. I'm pretty sure my expression for the summation is correct.

I'd use a test of convergence. Are you familiar with any?

7. Jul 6, 2013 #6
    Well this what I get so far that [itex] \sum_{k=n+1}^{2n}\frac{1}{k}≥ \sum_{k=n+1}^{2n}\frac{1}{k+1} [/itex] Hence its divergent. I think it works since [itex] \sum_{k=n+1}^{2n}\frac{1}{k+1}=\frac{1}{(n+1)+1}+\frac{1}{(n+2)+1}+...+\frac{1}{2n+1}[/itex] ≤ [itex] \sum_{k=n+1}^{2n}\frac{1}{k}= \frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n+2}+...+\frac{1}{2n} [/itex]

8. Jul 6, 2013 #7

lurflurf

Homework Helper

This is a little bit subtle

$$\frac{1}{2}=\frac{n}{2n}<\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{n+k}<\frac{n}{n+1}<1$$

hint:think log(n)

hint2:
    if

$$H_n=\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k}$$

then

$$\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{n+k}=H_{2n}-H_{n}$$

9. Jul 6, 2013 #8
    so is the way I have it not correct then?

10. Jul 6, 2013 #9

lurflurf

Homework Helper

^The way you wrote the sum is right, but you cannot conclude it diverges from what you have done.

11. Jul 6, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you know what a Riemann sum is, write one for the integral of the function 1/x from x=1 to x=2.

12. Jul 6, 2013 #11
    Ok I will try other methods. I would think there would be a much simpler way of doing this because Bartle (book im using) presents convergence and divergence of series before he introduces integration and differentiation.

13. Jul 6, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fair enough. You can also show a sequence converges if you can show it's monotone and bounded. Can you show ##y_{n+1}-y_{n}## is positive so it's monotone increasing and, as lurflurf indicated, bounded above?

14. Jul 6, 2013 #13
    So [itex]y_{n+1}= \frac{1}{n+2}+\frac{1}{n+3}+...+\frac{1}{2n+1}[/itex] and [itex] y_n=\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n+2}+...+\frac{1}{2n}[/itex]. So [itex] y_{n+1}-y_n= \frac{-1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+1}[/itex]. I think that is how it supposed to go.

15. Jul 6, 2013 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right idea, but the last term in ##y_{n+1}## is ##\frac{1}{2(n+1)}##, not ##\frac{1}{2n+1}##. Do it a little more carefully. It might be good to write out the n=1, n=2, n=3 cases explicitly, then do some differences and compare with what you think the answer is symbolically. That's what I do.

16. Jul 6, 2013 #15
    Oh yeah I forgot. [itex]y_{n+1}= \frac{1}{n+2}+\frac{1}{n+3}+...+\frac{1}{2n+5}[/itex] and [itex] y_n=\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n+2}+...+\frac{1}{2n}[/itex] So [itex] y_{n+1}-y_n=\frac{-1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+2}[/itex] which seems to be decreasing that is [itex] y_{n+1}\leq y_n[/itex]

17. Jul 6, 2013 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so why do you think [itex]\frac{-1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+2}[/itex] is negative? I don't. Just realized 2n+5 has got to be a typo, since your difference is correct.

18. Jul 6, 2013 #17
    Oh yes its increasing. Now once I show that [itex] \frac{-1}{n+1} \leq \frac{1}{2n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+2}[/itex]. Now I think I'm going to have to use a epsilon proof to show [itex] y_n[/itex] its convergent which I need some help with.

19. Jul 6, 2013 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a little garbled too. My whole point is that there is likely a theorem in Bartle that if a sequence is monotone increasing and bounded above, then it converges. Use the theorem. No need for epsilons if you've got the theorem.

20. Jul 6, 2013 #19
    It says 3.3.2 Monotone Convergence Theorem A monotone, sequence of real numbers is
    convergent if and only if it is bounded. Further: (a) If X = (xn) is a bounded increasing sequence, then [itex] lim(x_n) = sup\{x_n : n ε N\} [/itex]. I some how have to show [itex]y_n[/itex] is bounded and all I know its increasing so it is monotone.

21. Jul 6, 2013 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

lurflurf already hinted you that it's bounded. You are summing n numbers and they are all less than 1/n, so? Doesn't that mean it's bounded? Are you clear on the monotone bit? Why is ##\frac{-1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+2}## positive?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted