Proving trigonometric identities

In summary, proving trigonometric identities serves the purpose of simplifying complex expressions and equations, as well as establishing relationships between different trigonometric functions. There are various methods for proving these identities, such as algebraic manipulation, using known identities, and geometric proofs. Commonly used identities include Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. To check the validity of a trigonometric identity, one can use a calculator or algebraic manipulation to show equivalence. When proving identities, it is recommended to work with one side at a time and keep in mind useful properties and identities. Starting with the more complex side and working towards the simpler side can also be helpful.
DJ-Smiles

Homework Statement

Prove that:

(1-tanθ)/(1+tanθ)=(cotθ-1)/(cotθ+1)

Homework Equations

Trig Identities:

tanθ= sinθ/cosθ
cotθ= cosθ/sinθ
1+tanθ=secθ
1+cotθ=cosecθ

The Attempt at a Solution

These sorts of equations are coming up a lot and I am having trouble understanding what I have to do exactly, I have seen people cross multiply which cannot really work considering we haven't got proof that they equal each other and hence can't cross multiply. I have also attempted changing 1+tanθ to secθ and 1+cotθ to cosecθ but I am having no luck. I know there is a certain way to do it, I am just unsure of what this way is.

If possible could someone give me a guide on how to do it rather than just hint at things? I am coming up to exams in about two weeks and I don't have time to muck around, I need to make sure that I know everything that could be on the test.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Physics news on Phys.org
DJ-Smiles said:

Homework Statement

Prove that:

(1-tanθ)/(1+tanθ)=(cotθ-1)/(cotθ+1)

Homework Equations

Trig Identities:

tanθ= sinθ/cosθ
cotθ= cosθ/sinθ
The two below aren't identities.
DJ-Smiles said:
1+tanθ=secθ
1+cotθ=cosecθ

The Attempt at a Solution

These sorts of equations are coming up a lot and I am having trouble understanding what I have to do exactly, I have seen people cross multiply which cannot really work considering we haven't got proof that they equal each other and hence can't cross multiply. I have also attempted changing 1+tanθ to secθ and 1+cotθ to cosecθ but I am having no luck.
Which is to be expected, because the actual identies are
1+tan2θ = sec2θ and

1+cot2θ = csc2θ
DJ-Smiles said:
I know there is a certain way to do it, I am just unsure of what this way is.

If possible could someone give me a guide on how to do it rather than just hint at things? I am coming up to exams in about two weeks and I don't have time to muck around, I need to make sure that I know everything that could be on the test.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Start on one side (usually the side that seems most complicated, but that's subjective), and use identities to arrive at what you have on the other side.

For your problem, one approach would be to write all of the tan and cot functions in terms of sin and cos, and go from there.

Yeah sorry, I knew that but I was just rushing to write this down. Ok I will try that. Now say a different situation comes up say it was : (1-sinx)/(1+sinx)=(1-cosx)/(1+cos). Not sure if that is doable but something along those lines like instead of cot and tan it was cos or sin? what would i do then?

DJ-Smiles said:
Yeah sorry, I knew that but I was just rushing to write this down. Ok I will try that. Now say a different situation comes up say it was : (1-sinx)/(1+sinx)=(1-cosx)/(1+cos). Not sure if that is doable but something along those lines like instead of cot and tan it was cos or sin? what would i do then?
First off, you can't just make up something and try to show it's an identity. In this case, your equation is not an identity. To see that, note that if x = 0, the left side value is 1, and the right side value is 0.

Mark44 said:
For your problem, one approach would be to write all of the tan and cot functions in terms of sin and cos, and go from there.

Wouldn't that be much easier if you write tan as 1/cot?

Pranav-Arora said:
Wouldn't that be much easier if you write tan as 1/cot?

Or write cot as 1/tan. Yes, I think so.

1. What is the purpose of proving trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities is important because it allows us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and equations, making them easier to solve and understand. It also helps to establish the relationships between different trigonometric functions and allows us to derive new identities.

2. How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

There are several methods for proving trigonometric identities, including using algebraic manipulation, using trigonometric identities and properties, and using geometric proofs. The method used depends on the specific identity being proved.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities that are frequently used in proofs?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can be used to simplify expressions and prove other trigonometric identities.

4. How can you check if a trigonometric identity is true?

To check if a trigonometric identity is true, you can use a calculator to evaluate both sides of the identity for various values of the angles involved. If the values are equal, then the identity is true. Another method is to use algebraic manipulation to simplify both sides and show that they are equivalent.

5. Are there any tips for proving trigonometric identities?

When proving trigonometric identities, it is important to always work with one side of the identity at a time and to keep in mind the properties and identities that can be used to manipulate trigonometric expressions. It is also helpful to start with the more complex side of the identity and work towards the simpler side.