Simplifying Trigonometric Equations

In summary, the conversation was about a student's attempt to solve two trigonometry problems involving reducing expressions using various trigonometric identities. The student referenced the Reciprocal, Product, Quotient, and Pythagorean identities but got stuck after factoring the expressions. The expert summarizer provided a solution using the Pythagorean identity and reminded the student about the distributive property.
Bogrune

Homework Statement

I've been studying trig. for my Precalculus class, and I decided to give 50 problems a try, though I got stuck in two of them:

Reduce the first expression to the second in each of the following:
38.) cos2x-cos4x, cos2xsin2x
and
68.) sec4θ - sec2θ, sec2θtan2θ

Homework Equations

The Reciprocal Identities,
Product Identities: sinθcscθ = 1, cosθsecθ = 1, tanθcotθ = 1
Quotient Identities: tanθ = sinθ/cosθ, cotθ = cosθ/sinθ
Pythagorean Identities: cos2θ + sin2θ = 1, 1 + tan2θ= sec2θ, cot2θ + 1 = csc2θ

The Attempt at a Solution

38.) cos2x - cos4x ---> (cosx + cos2x)(cosx - cos2x)
That's as far as I went with this one because I got stumped at this point.

68.) sec4θ - sec2θ ---> (sec2θ + secθ)(sec2θ - secθ)
It's the same story with this one. I get stumped after I finish factoring these expressions.

Physics news on Phys.org
cos^2(1-cos^2)----- Pythagorean identity
cos^2(sin^2)
the second one is similar

Crud, now I feel like an idiot for forgetting about the distributive property. Thanks for the help though!

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of simplifying trigonometric equations?

Simplifying trigonometric equations helps to make them easier to solve and understand. It also allows us to manipulate the equations more easily and identify patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions.

2. How do you simplify trigonometric equations?

To simplify trigonometric equations, we use various trigonometric identities and properties, such as the Pythagorean identity, double angle formulas, and sum and difference formulas. We also use algebraic techniques, such as factoring and combining like terms, to simplify the equations.

3. Can trigonometric equations be simplified using a calculator?

Yes, some calculators have a simplify function that can be used to simplify trigonometric equations. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in simplifying the equations manually in order to fully grasp the concepts and be able to solve more complex equations.

4. How can simplifying trigonometric equations be applied in real-world situations?

Simplifying trigonometric equations is often used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to model and solve real-world problems. For example, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile or the height of a building.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when simplifying trigonometric equations?

One common mistake is to forget to use the correct trigonometric identities or to apply them incorrectly. Another mistake is to make algebraic errors, such as incorrectly factoring or combining like terms. It is important to double-check each step and make sure all the steps are accurate.