1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Two Sets Are Equivalent

1. Aug 23, 2014 #1
    To prove that two sets are in fact the same, do I actually have to prove that the two are subsets of each other; or could I prove that they are equivalent by some other means, such as invoking the definitions of the sets?

For instance, the I am trying to show that the binary set operator ##+## is commutative; that is,

## A + B = B + A##,

where

##A + B = (A-B) \cup (B-A)##.

By using the commutative property of the ##\cup## operator, I was able to prove the equality:

##A + B = (A-B) \cup (B-A) = (B-A) \cup (A-B) = B+A##

Is this a valid proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, as long as you've already proven that union is commutative.

4. Aug 23, 2014 #3
    °Yes, I did prove that the union is commutative.

I have another question; it comes from the same problem. I am asked to determine whether ##A + \emptyset = A## is a true statement. Here is my proof:

##A + \emptyset = (A - \emptyset) \cup (\emptyset - A)##

Before we proceed, let us determine the nature of ##(A - \emptyset)## and ##(\emptyset - A)##.

##(A - \emptyset) = \{ x~| x \in A \wedge x \notin \emptyset \}##. The statement ##x \notin x \emptyset ## is always true by definition. Therefore,

##(A- \emptyset) = \{x~| x \in A \wedge T \} = \{x~| x \in A\} = A##.

Here is the portion of my proof that I am unsure of:

##\emptyset - A = \{x~| \underbrace{x \in \emptyset} \wedge x \notin A \}##. The underlined portion is always a false statement, as the empty set never houses any elements. As such,

## \emptyset - A = \{x~| F \wedge \underbrace{x \notin A}\}##. The truth value of the underlined portion is irrelevant to the truth value of the entire statement. Thus,

## \emptyset - A = \{x~| F \}##...

I would interpret this as being the empty set, but I do not have any basis for such an inference. How might I justly proceed from this last step in my proof?

EDIT:

What if I wrote ##\emptyset - A = \{x~|\forall xp(x) = F\}##, where ##p(x)## is the condition that must be satisfied in order for the element ##x## to be a member. What ##p(x)=F## states is, that every ##x## makes the statement false, meaning that it can contain no elements.

Would this be sufficient reasoning?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  5. Aug 24, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

B- A is, by definition, "All members of B that are not in A". If B is empty, B- A is the empty set no matter what A is.

6. Aug 24, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think you're fine simply saying that ##\emptyset-A = \emptyset##, but if you're still worried, you can show that ##\emptyset \subset \emptyset-A## and ##\emptyset-A \subset \emptyset##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted