Publishing a scientific discovery

In summary, if someone makes a discovery that can improve people's lives, they would need to patent it if it is an invention or publish it in a scientific journal if it is a scientific discovery. The process for patenting an invention can be found through the USPTO or WIPO, while scientific discoveries can be published in journals such as Nature or Science.
Aria Darabi
Let's say someone discovers something that can better the lives of everyone; where would they go to publish this discovery? Do they just patent/sell it or is there more to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, let's be straightforward here. It's you who has this discovery, right? So tell us something about yourself, your experience and the type of discovery you made.

micromass said:
OK, let's be straightforward here. It's you who has this discovery, right? So tell us something about yourself, your experience and the type of discovery you made.

I have not made any discovery. I want to know where people go to publish it. Do you know?

Aria Darabi said:
I have not made any discovery.

Then why are you making this thread? What caused it?

I want to know where people go to publish it. Do you know?

No, since it depends heavily on who the person is and what kind of discovery it is. There is a difference between inventing a new feature on your iPhone and proving the Riemann hypothesis.

micromass said:
Then why are you making this thread? What caused it?
No, since it depends heavily on who the person is and what kind of discovery it is. There is a difference between inventing a new feature on your iPhone and proving the Riemann hypothesis.

I'm sensing hostility from you. I apologize if I offended you.

Let's say it's a new electrical power source; where would I go?

Aria Darabi said:
I'm sensing hostility from you.

I'm just asking questions since your original post was very vague.

Let's say it's a new electrical power source; where would I go?

You will probably want to patent this.

micromass said:
I'm just asking questions since your original post was very vague.
You will probably want to patent this.

Thank you.

Aria Darabi said:
Let's say someone discovers something that can better the lives of everyone; where would they go to publish this discovery? Do they just patent/sell it or is there more to it?
One patents an invention. One cannot patent a natural occurring phenomenon, although one may patent an invention that takes advantage of a natural phenomenon in order to produce a process or product that is new, useful and non-obvious.

If it is a scientific discovery, usually one approaches a scientific journal, e.g., Nature or Science, but they would probably expect a peer-review of the discovery.

Aria Darabi said:
new electrical power source
One could patent the invention of a new method to generate electricity. One can start by identifying the classes pertaining to the technology, e.g, US Classes 310 or 322, for electrical generators. One can visit USPTO or comparable patent office in one's country, or the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) - http://www.wipo.int/pct/en/ for more information on the filing process.

1. How do I publish my scientific discovery?

To publish your scientific discovery, you will need to follow the submission guidelines of the journal you wish to publish in. This typically involves preparing a manuscript with your findings, methods, and conclusions, and submitting it to the journal for review. Once the manuscript is accepted, it will go through the publication process and be released to the public.

2. How long does the publishing process take?

The length of the publishing process can vary depending on the journal and the complexity of your research. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year from submission to publication. However, some journals offer expedited review and publication options for an additional fee.

3. Do I need to have all my data analyzed before submitting for publication?

It is recommended to have all your data analyzed and interpreted before submitting for publication. This will ensure that your findings are accurate and supported by evidence. However, some journals do allow for ongoing research to be submitted, as long as it is clearly stated in the manuscript.

4. Can I publish the same discovery in multiple journals?

No, it is not ethical to publish the same discovery in multiple journals. This is considered self-plagiarism and can result in your work being retracted. It is important to choose one journal to publish your discovery in and follow their guidelines for exclusivity.

5. What if my discovery is rejected for publication?

If your discovery is rejected for publication, do not be discouraged. It is common for research to go through multiple rounds of revisions and rejections before being accepted. Take the feedback from the reviewers and make necessary revisions to improve your manuscript before resubmitting to another journal.