1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Publishing a scientific discovery

1. May 24, 2015 #1
    Let's say someone discovers something that can better the lives of everyone; where would they go to publish this discovery? Do they just patent/sell it or is there more to it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, let's be straightforward here. It's you who has this discovery, right? So tell us something about yourself, your experience and the type of discovery you made.

4. May 24, 2015 #3
    I have not made any discovery. I want to know where people go to publish it. Do you know?

5. May 24, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then why are you making this thread? What caused it?

No, since it depends heavily on who the person is and what kind of discovery it is. There is a difference between inventing a new feature on your iPhone and proving the Riemann hypothesis.

6. May 24, 2015 #5
    I'm sensing hostility from you. I apologize if I offended you.

Let's say it's a new electrical power source; where would I go?

7. May 24, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm just asking questions since your original post was very vague.

You will probably want to patent this.

8. May 24, 2015 #7
    Thank you.

9. May 24, 2015 #8

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One patents an invention. One cannot patent a natural occurring phenomenon, although one may patent an invention that takes advantage of a natural phenomenon in order to produce a process or product that is new, useful and non-obvious.

If it is a scientific discovery, usually one approaches a scientific journal, e.g., Nature or Science, but they would probably expect a peer-review of the discovery.

10. May 24, 2015 #9

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One could patent the invention of a new method to generate electricity. One can start by identifying the classes pertaining to the technology, e.g, US Classes 310 or 322, for electrical generators. One can visit USPTO or comparable patent office in one's country, or the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) - http://www.wipo.int/pct/en/ for more information on the filing process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook