Publishing: LibreOffice or Latex?

In summary, publishers prefer Latex over LibreOffice for school maths textbooks. However, Latex has a steep learning curve, and using a front-end package such as Scientific WorkPlace can make the process easier.
qspeechc
Firstly, sorry I didn't know where was the correct place to put this. I'd like to know from publishers or published authors etc.

I've just started writing a textbook on school maths. Preferrably I would like to use LibreOffice, but I could use Latex too. Do publishers prefer Latex, or would using LibreOffice be fine too?

Physics news on Phys.org
I use LaTeX for everything I write, both books and papers. That said, I do it the easy way, with a front end program called Scientific WorkPlace sold by Mackichan.com. I have used it about 30 years, and I strongly recommend it. I would not even think about going any other way.

I my humble experience I would go with Latex over any of the word processing type packages, especially for scientific publications. Latex will give you a very beautiful publication which looks the way you want it with nice equations the way you want them. Libra and other word processors like that (even Microsoft Word) can have a lot of trouble with large documents, especially book sized ones, and once they start to go wrong it can take a lot of time sorting out the problems. Latex has a steep learning curve but IMHO you will be much happier with the output in Latex.

Cheers

Likes S.G. Janssens, FactChecker and qspeechc
Thanks I'm quite poor with technology, so I prefer LibreOffice.

I've always struggled with getting images into Latex documents so that it all looks correct, and I'm going to need literally hundreds for this book I'm writing.

Also the MikTex package I'm using isn't installing packages properly like it should, or compiling pdfs properly, which is really frustrating me.

There are also some minor editing/layout things about Latex I don't like, where other programmes like LibreOffice give you more freedom (Latex assumes you're an editing imbecile, and the code knows better).

If I wrote my book with Latex, would the publishing company (assuming I can get one) be willing to work to fix it up? Or do they expect you to do it all, and give it to them ready-to-print?

As @cosmik debris says, MS Word can become a nightmare on a large document. LibreOffice is probably similar since it is a MS clone. My experience is that it is better to use something that you can specifically control and keep it as simple as possible. The results may not look as fancy, but you can get the job done. Don't worry too much about getting the format exactly a certain way. Several times, I have had to give up on large Word documents and start over with another system where I could specifically control the markup language and keep it simple.

Likes qspeechc
Ok I'll stick with Latex. Only trouble is finding someone who can help you in plain English when you've got a problem:rolleyes:

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm already encountering difficulties with Latex. Imbedding an image in a block of text is a real pain in the neck. The "Figure" label is wandering all over the place, causing havock.

I mentioned Scientific WorkPlace in post #2. The whole point of this front-end package is to let you focus on the writing, knowing that format issues can be easily adjusted/revised after it is all written. The key thing in the early stage is to get your ideas down as clearly as possible, not to be side-tracked with format issues. By simply invoking a different style at the end, the entire format can readily be changed, but none of that matters in the early stages when you are just trying to get your ideas together in a coherent form.

Currently, I am revising a textbook I published almost 30 years, originally done in AppleWriter on an Apple II+ (nightmare software!). It is so vastly much easier using LaTeX, and my progress is much faster. I'm using a pre-defined book style (Linda Gilbert's Book, if that means anything to you), but I can change the whole thing in moments by switching to a different style. I really urge you to check out this possibility. It does cost a few $$ up front (I get nothing out of that), but if you make the investment, you'll never look back at Word or a clone.

Likes qspeechc
Haha! Thanks Dr.D.

I'm just really terrible with tech. I couldn't install Latex packages on my own, that's why I got Miktex, and I have to clue how to compile the pdf output either, which is why I use Winshell.

And that's why I wanted to do this book in LibreOffice, cos it's easier to understand. I'm a real techno-phobe. No offence!

Plus I've just seen the prices :wideeyed:

qspeechc said:
Haha! Thanks Dr.D.

I'm just really terrible with tech. I couldn't install Latex packages on my own, that's why I got Miktex, and I have to clue how to compile the pdf output either, which is why I use Winshell.

And that's why I wanted to do this book in LibreOffice, cos it's easier to understand. I'm a real techno-phobe. No offence!

Plus I've just seen the prices :wideeyed:
If you are in complete control of the document, LibreOffice should be Ok. I recommend that you keep the formatting as simple as possible. My big problems with Word (which LibreOffice mimics) occurred when I merged inputs from several people and sources that all had different formatting. A typical nightmare was that I could correct a format on page 231 and not notice till a week later that it messed up a format on page 52. So almost every change might mess up something in a completely different part. If you are writing the entire thing and just use the simple standard styles and formats, you will probably have no problems.

Likes qspeechc
The OP might like Lyx: https://www.lyx.org/
It has some of the characteristics of Scientific WorkPlace and it is free.

I would not recommend using a standard word processor for mathematics, for reasons that were already mentioned above.

Likes qspeechc and FactChecker
I second @Krylov 's recommendation of Lyx. If you use LaTex, you will want to use something like Lyx. I don't have a lot of experience with Lyx, but I made a couple of small (under 25 pages) documents with relative ease.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Think I'll stick to Latex. Don't really want to be learning a new program, on top of Libre Draw and Geogebra I'll be using to make the images.

qspeechc said:
Yeah, I'm already encountering difficulties with Latex. Imbedding an image in a block of text is a real pain in the neck. The "Figure" label is wandering all over the place, causing havock.

You can use "flags" if you don't already. For example, add your figures with

\begin{figure}[H]
\end{figure}

This wasn't what you asked, but thought it could help you later on.

Likes qspeechc
Yeah, after much googling I finally got something going:

\begin{wrapfigure}{r}{0.2\textwidth}
\begin{center}
\includegraphics[scale=1]{Random_triangles}
\caption*{}
\end{center}
\end{wrapfigure}

All for a picture of some triangles with no caption, lol.

Likes Nugso
For me LaTeX is the way to go. I tried switching to word processors for a while but very quickly came back to LaTeX for publications both large and small. In general I find formatters such as LaTeX much more flexible and robust. And once you get the hang of LaTeX it just gets easier. There are also a lot of "quick start" documents, tutorials and references available for LaTeX online for free. They will get you up to speed pretty fast.

1. What is the difference between LibreOffice and Latex?

LibreOffice is a free and open-source software suite that includes a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation program, similar to Microsoft Office. Latex, on the other hand, is a typesetting system used for scientific and technical documents. While LibreOffice offers a more user-friendly interface, Latex provides more advanced features for formatting complex equations and scientific notation.

2. Which one should I use for publishing my research?

The choice between LibreOffice and Latex ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you are not familiar with coding and prefer a more intuitive interface, LibreOffice may be a better option. However, if you need to publish a document with a lot of mathematical equations and symbols, Latex may be the more suitable choice.

3. Can I use both LibreOffice and Latex for publishing?

Yes, you can use both programs for publishing. In fact, some researchers use LibreOffice for writing the main body of their document and then use Latex for formatting equations and figures. This allows for a combination of user-friendly editing and professional-looking formatting.

4. Is it possible to convert a document from LibreOffice to Latex?

Yes, it is possible to convert a document from LibreOffice to Latex. There are various tools and converters available online that can help with this process. However, it is important to note that the conversion may not be perfect and some formatting may need to be adjusted manually.

5. Are there any advantages of using Latex over LibreOffice for publishing?

One of the main advantages of using Latex for publishing is its ability to handle complex equations and mathematical notation with ease. Additionally, Latex documents have a professional and standardized appearance, making them more suitable for academic publishing. However, Latex has a steeper learning curve compared to LibreOffice and may require some basic coding skills.