Pulley Efficiency Problem (How much rope must be pulled)?

In summary: By using the equation Efficiency (%) = Wo/Wi, we can find the work done to the rope (Wi).Then, using the equation MA = Fr/Fe, we can find the mechanical advantage (MA) of the pulley system.Finally, using the equation IMA = De/Dr, we can find the ideal mechanical advantage (IMA) of the pulley system.In summary, to lift a 160 kg desk 2.51 meters using a pulley system with an efficiency of 71.5%, you would need to pull in a length of rope that allows for 71.5% of the work done to the rope to equal 641 N. To find this length, you would need to calculate the
glambeth

Homework Statement

A pulley system has an efficiency of 71.5 percent. How much of the rope must be pulled in if a force of 641 N is needed to lift a 160 kg desk 2.51 meters?

Homework Equations

IMA = De/Dr
MA = Fr/Fe
Efficiency (%) = Wo/Wi
Efficiency (%) = MA/IMA

I have absolutely no idea how to solve this; this is simply a practice problem that I made up and the professor said a similar problem will appear on the test. Could someone show me how to do this?? I would appreciate it greatly.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
glambeth said:

Homework Statement

A pulley system has an efficiency of 71.5 percent. How much of the rope must be pulled in if a force of 641 N is needed to lift a 160 kg desk 2.51 meters?

Homework Equations

IMA = De/Dr
MA = Fr/Fe
Efficiency (%) = Wo/Wi
Efficiency (%) = MA/IMA

I have absolutely no idea how to solve this; this is simply a practice problem that I made up and the professor said a similar problem will appear on the test. Could someone show me how to do this?? I would appreciate it greatly.

The Attempt at a Solution

How much work is needed to lift the desk?

Only 71.5% of the work done to the rope goes into lifting the desk.

How much work needs to be does to the rope?

1. How is pulley efficiency calculated?

Pulley efficiency is calculated by dividing the weight being lifted by the force required to lift it. This ratio is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage value.

2. What factors affect pulley efficiency?

The number of pulleys used, the type and condition of the pulleys, and the weight and length of the rope used can all affect pulley efficiency. Friction and the angle of the rope can also play a role.

3. How do I determine the amount of rope to pull?

To determine the amount of rope to pull, you must first know the weight of the object being lifted and the number of pulleys being used. Then, divide the weight by the number of pulleys to get the amount of force needed. This force will determine the length of rope that needs to be pulled.

4. Can the efficiency of a pulley system be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a pulley system can be improved by using high-quality, well-maintained pulleys, reducing friction by lubricating the pulleys, and using a lighter and stronger rope.

5. What is the maximum efficiency that can be achieved with a pulley system?

The maximum efficiency that can be achieved with a pulley system is 100%, which means that all of the force applied is used to lift the object with no energy lost to friction. However, in reality, pulley systems typically have an efficiency between 60-90% due to factors such as friction and imperfections in the pulleys.