1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley problem that is most likely easier for you than for me.

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2 blocks that have the same mass are connected by a string and passed over a pulley. The angle made by the horizontal plane and the ramp is 30 degrees. 1 of the blocks is dangling off the edge of the ramp while the other block is placed on the ramp. If neither block moves, what is the static friction coefficient that keeps the block on the ramp from moving?

2. Relevant equations

where to even start?

3. The attempt at a solution

So far, I just thought through the problem. I'd appreciate the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    My suggestion to you in first attempting this problem is to draw free-body diagrams for each of the two masses. You want to see all the forces that would be acting on each of the masses.

If the system is to be static (not moving) what would you expect the net force to be?

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Right! thanks a bunch!

5. Oct 2, 2011 #4
    Here's another hint: when considering the forces acting on the block resting on the plane it will be easier to consider the forces in the directions paralell to and perpendiclar to the plane as opposed to simply in the x- and y- direction which you may be accustomed to.

6. Oct 2, 2011 #5
    so is the answer just 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook