Pulley system with a weight's acceleration of g/5

In summary, when two masses are connected by a tension in a pulley, the tension in the pulley will cause both masses to have an upward acceleration equal to g/5.
DocZaius

Homework Statement

In the system shown in the figure (see attachment), the pulleys on the left and right are fixed, but the pulley in the center can move to the left or right. The two masses are identical. Show that the mass on the left will have an upward acceleration equal to g/5. Assume all the ropes and pulleys are massless and frictionless.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I will call the left rope's tension T1 and the right rope's tension T2. The left weight will be called "a" and the right weight will be called "b".

Net force on a = T1 - mg
Net force on b = T2 - mg

acceleration of a = T1/m - g
acceleration of b = T2/m - g

Forces on middle pulley = T2*2 - T1

I have approached this problem from many angles and I just can't come up with an equation that uses both tensions because the middle pulley being massless makes it impossible to find an acceleration for it.

Since F=ma, when mass is 1/infinity, acceleration becomes infinity. So I can't find the acceleration of the middle pulley that way.

Furthermore, despite every other approach I've used, I just can't get "g/5" for the left weight's acceleration.

Attachments

• pulleys.GIF
    pulleys.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing:
(1) The relationship between T1 and T2. (Analyze forces on the moving pulley. What must the net force equal?)
(2) The relationship between the acceleration of each mass due to the fact that they are interconnected. (Figure out this constraint.)

Doc Al said:
You are missing:
(1) The relationship between T1 and T2. (Analyze forces on the moving pulley. What must the net force equal?)

net force on middle pulley=T2*2 - T1 is what I listed as the relationship between the tensions. I can't think of another relationship to list. I don't know what the net force must equal. I know that the middle pulley's acceleration must equal g/5 but I have two things to say about that. First knowing the acceleration of the pulley doesn't tell me the ultimate net force on the pulley since to figure it out, the pulley would need to have a mass that is not negligible. Secondly, I do not want to solve this problem using g/5 as a starting point. I want to figure out how he got g/5 in the first place.

(2) The relationship between the acceleration of each mass due to the fact that they are interconnected. (Figure out this constraint.)

I do not know the relationship between the two masses' accelerations. Since the tension of one rope depends on the tension of the other, I first need to link them in another way than T2*2 - T1. I can't think of that other way.

DocZaius said:
net force on middle pulley=T2*2 - T1 is what I listed as the relationship between the tensions. I can't think of another relationship to list. I don't know what the net force must equal.
Sure you do. What's the mass of the pulley? Apply Newton's 2nd law.
I do not know the relationship between the two masses' accelerations.
There's a simple kinematic relationship between the two masses. When mass "a" moves up 1 meter, how far does mass "b" move down? (There are several ways to figure this out. One good way is just to play around with a piece of string.)

Doc Al said:
Sure you do. What's the mass of the pulley? Apply Newton's 2nd law.

The mass is negligible, so I will say it is 1/(infinity)

F=ma
when m = 1/(infinity), the equation stops being useful.

There's a simple kinematic relationship between the two masses. When mass "a" moves up 1 meter, how far does mass "b" move down? (There are several ways to figure this out. One good way is just to play around with a piece of string.)

I think b moves down 1/2 meter, but I will think about it more.

DocZaius said:
The mass is negligible, so I will say it is 1/(infinity)

F=ma
when m = 1/(infinity), the equation stops being useful.
Treat the pulley as massless, so m = 0. Just plug that into the equation. (Not useless at all.)
I think b moves down 1/2 meter, but I will think about it more.
That's incorrect, but you're on the right track. Think about it some more.

Got g/5! Thanks Doc Al!

1. How does a pulley system affect the acceleration of a weight?

A pulley system can affect the acceleration of a weight by reducing the amount of force required to lift the weight. In a single fixed pulley system, the weight will still accelerate at a rate of g/5, but the force required to lift the weight will be reduced by a factor of 2. In a more complex pulley system, such as a block and tackle, the weight may accelerate faster or slower depending on the number of pulleys and their arrangement.

2. What is the significance of a weight's acceleration being g/5 in a pulley system?

The acceleration of g/5 in a pulley system means that the weight is accelerating at one-fifth of the acceleration due to gravity, or 9.8 m/s^2. This is because the pulley system is reducing the force needed to lift the weight, but not changing the weight's mass. Therefore, the weight will still accelerate at the same rate, just with less force.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the acceleration of a weight in a pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a pulley system can affect the acceleration of a weight in different ways. In a single fixed pulley, the weight will still accelerate at g/5, but the force required will be reduced. In a block and tackle system, the weight may accelerate faster or slower depending on the number of pulleys and their arrangement. Generally, more pulleys will result in a slower acceleration, but less force required to lift the weight.

4. Can a pulley system change the acceleration of a weight?

No, a pulley system cannot change the acceleration of a weight. The weight will still accelerate at a rate of g/5, but the force required to lift the weight may be reduced by the pulley system. The acceleration of the weight is determined by its mass and the force acting on it, which is not affected by the pulley system.

5. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a weight in a pulley system?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of a weight in a pulley system is a = F/(m * n), where a is the acceleration, F is the force applied, m is the mass of the weight, and n is the number of pulleys. In a single fixed pulley, n = 1, so the formula becomes a = F/m. In a block and tackle system with multiple pulleys, n will be greater than 1, resulting in a slower acceleration.