Pulley system with Moment of Inertia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
TrippingBilly
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
A block of mass m1 = 2.05 kg and a block of mass m2 = 5.95 kg are connected by a massless string over a pulley in the shape of a solid disk having radius R = 0.250 m and mass M = 10.0 kg. These blocks are allowed to move on a fixed block-wedge of angle = 30.0°. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.360 for both blocks. Draw free-body diagrams of both blocks and of the pulley. (The mass m2 is sitting on a 30 degree slope with the horizontal, which is connected by a string to the pulley at the top of the slope, and m1 is on the other side of the pulley on a flat surface.)

Before I can start to work on this problem, I'm not sure what the equation for the moment of inertia of the pulley would be. I don't know what direction to head in once I figure that but I can give it a try before I come back for more help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
M1: (m1)(g)sin(30°) + (m1)(a) - (m1)(μk)(g)cos(30°) = 0M2: (m2)(g)sin(30°) + (m2)(a) - (m2)(μk)(g)cos(30°) = 0Pulley:I = MR^2F_tension * R = I * alpha