1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulleys: How do they exactly work?

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1
    Having multiple pulleys reduce the amount of force you have to exert to pull up an object?

why is that exactly?

I mean, I use this principle whenever I encounter a pulley Q...w/o really understanding why that's the case...

Can someone expain in terms of Newtoniam mechanics and/or Free BOdy diagram?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2

Gold Member

It's a question of leverage. When you use a lever, the distance you move the one end is greater than the distance moved at the other. This distributes the force needed to do work over a longer distance. A pulley system does the same. The mechanics is straightforward because, assuming no friction, the work done ( force times distance) is the same at both ends. If the work is the same, then the forces vary inversely with the distance.

[tex] F_1 = F_2\frac{D_2}{D_1} [/tex]
  4. Apr 13, 2007 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?