Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pump Transfer solutions for residual bulk removal in transfer line

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    QUERY/PROBLEM(refer to the attached file)

Bulk is transferred from location A to B using a centrifugal pump. At the end of operation(when there is no bulk at the pump suction), bulk remaining in the discharge line(marked by Red) causes problem for the next batch(As next batch is of different product).

I need your suggestions on how to remove this remaining bulk to some satisfactory level ?
    P.S.: There is no facility for cleaning the line after batch operation.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2013 #2
    My suggestion is to pump compressed air into tank A instead of using centrifugal pump in between.

4. Jul 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did calculations for the line losses & pump head required.

for
    1" line, 5 m3/hr, head required is 41m
    1" line, 3 m3/hr, head required is 21m
    2" line, 5 m3/hr, head required is 10m

I think air would not be able to provide that high pressure for transport.

5. Jul 31, 2013 #4
    Anyway, current installation has only one pump, and has to produce the same pressure difference.
    For 41m pipe, Reynolds number 75000, turbulent case, by quick calculations I got about 50 bar.

It may be usefull to use two different compressors. On finishing, depending on surface tension, some substance will remain on the pipe walls, and will be moved forward by the air flow. It will require less pressure, but higher flow rate.

6. Jul 31, 2013 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

.. and this little piggie went "whee, whee, whee, whee, whee," all the way home.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook