Pumpkin Picking with My Daughter in October

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, the best time to go pumpkin picking with your daughter in October is towards the beginning or middle of the month. You can find pumpkin patches suitable for children by doing a quick online search or asking for recommendations. Ripe pumpkins are a deep orange color, firm, and sound hollow when tapped. Pumpkin patches also offer a variety of fun activities, such as hayrides and corn mazes. You can bring your own carving tools, but it's best to check with the farm beforehand and prioritize safety when children are involved.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
October reminds me of some good times I spent with my daughter. Taking a wagon ride to pick out a pumpkin from here: https://www.schaakespumpkinpatch.com/

Likes pinball1970, berkeman, collinsmark and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe your daughter can take you on a trip there this year.

Likes dlgoff
dlgoff said:
October reminds me of some good times I spent with my daughter. Taking a wagon ride to pick out a pumpkin from here: https://www.schaakespumpkinpatch.com/
Aww! Very nice. Here is our local pumpkin patch, at Ardenwood Farm in Fremont (northeastern part of Silicon Valley):

Attachments

• 1664115391837.png
    1664115391837.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 72
Likes collinsmark and dlgoff

1. What is the best time to go pumpkin picking?

The best time to go pumpkin picking is typically in October, as this is when pumpkins are fully ripe and ready to be picked. However, it may vary depending on your location and the weather conditions.

2. How do I know if a pumpkin is ripe?

A ripe pumpkin will have a deep orange color and a hard, sturdy stem. It should also feel heavy for its size and have a slight hollow sound when tapped.

3. What are some tips for finding the perfect pumpkin?

When picking a pumpkin, look for one that is free of bruises, cuts, and other damage. It should also have a smooth and even surface. Don't be afraid to lift and turn the pumpkin to inspect it from all angles.

4. How should I store my pumpkins after picking?

Pumpkins should be stored in a cool, dry place. Avoid direct sunlight and moisture, as these can cause the pumpkin to rot. If you plan on carving the pumpkin, it's best to wait until closer to Halloween to preserve its freshness.

5. Can I eat the pumpkins I pick?

While you can technically eat any pumpkin, not all pumpkins are ideal for cooking. The best pumpkins for eating are typically smaller, sweeter varieties such as sugar pumpkins or pie pumpkins. Be sure to do your research and ask the pumpkin patch staff for recommendations.