Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pure Electron Diffraction Experiments

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1

I just read about the the ten most beautiful experiments of all times.
    The top winner was the double slit diffraction by electrons experience carried out by Claus Jönsson .

This electron diffraction experiment, I think, has been chosen as remarquable because it stages the wave-like behaviour of electrons in an experiment that is very close to the Young experiment on normal light. The Young experiment is rather popular probably because it is rather easy to perform.

But there is still a difference with the "normal Young experiment": the size of the double-slit.
    The double slits used with 50keV electron was in the micron-size, while nomal Young experiments are carried out in the millimeter range of dimensions.

Therefore I have this question:

Since 1962, have there been other double slit experiments been carried out with electrons of much lower energies and therefore much larger slits?
    By the way, I would eventually like to read about the technical implications such lower energies may have.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What about electron diffraction using more than just 2 slits? What about electron diffraction/interference equivalent to diffraction grating? The Low Energy Electron Diffraction (LEED) technique is something that is used very often in knowing the orientation of a crystal lattice.

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    I agree there many earlier evidence of the wave-like aspect of electrons.
    But for kids it is not as illustrating as a two-slit experiment.
    That's why I would like to know about wht has beed done that looks the closest to the optical Young slits experiments.
    My purpose is not history it is more about pedagogy and fun.

Note also that low energies double slit experiments with electrons must be difficult.
    I would also like to learn about this aspect.

Finally, it is not bad to look for experiences covering a broad range of parameters, not just the range that is the easiest to reach.
    Clearly PEDE is routinely observed in electron microscopes.
  5. Sep 24, 2007 #4
    I just realized there is currently an active thread on diffraction of macroscopic objects (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=186134)
    I enjoyed very much the reference on C60 diffraction.

Actually, the question I was asking was a bit similar.
    But instead of looking for macroscopic objects, I was more interrested in macroscopic slits.

My question was about electron diffraction observed with a macroscopic double-slits arrangement.
    This implies of course a low energy electron beam, which can be difficult technically, specially for energies below the thermal level.

I am still interrested to know what has been done in this fields.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?