Pure Math Course: G.H. Hardy's A Course of Pure Math

In summary: It's a nice book albeit a bit old-fashioned, e.g., sequences are referred to as "functions of an integer variable" and doesn't have much in the way of applications, so it may not be the best choice if want a basis for engineering. For that purpose I would recommend taking a look at Courant and John's "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume 1." This book is both mathematically rigorous and full of interesting applications. In summary, the conversation discusses choosing a calculus textbook for self-study, with recommendations for G.H. Hardy's "A Course of Pure Mathematics" and Courant and John's "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis." While the former is praised for its rigor, the latter is recommended
cicih
Guys ..i have a plan to learn calculus and I've heard g.h Hardy book:a course of pure math is good for beginner ,and I've heard a lot of good things too about this book ..so guys ? its true ? anyone who have had experience with this book so please tell me ..just make an agreement,or disagree about this ..or you guys can make a review about this book,anything i would very appreciate.. thanks

for information i want for self study because I am interesting in math and maybe for my career (i have been considering to be an engineer) ..tHanx again -love

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a nice book albeit a bit old-fashioned, e.g., sequences are referred to as "functions of an integer variable" and doesn't have much in the way of applications, so it may not be the best choice if want a basis for engineering. For that purpose I would recommend taking a look at Courant and John's "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume 1." This book is both mathematically rigorous and full of interesting applications.

cicih said:
Guys ..i have a plan to learn calculus and I've heard g.h Hardy book:a course of pure math is good for beginner ,and I've heard a lot of good things too about this book ..so guys ? its true ? anyone who have had experience with this book so please tell me ..just make an agreement,or disagree about this ..or you guys can make a review about this book,anything i would very appreciate.. thanks

for information i want for self study because I am interesting in math and maybe for my career (i have been considering to be an engineer) ..tHanx again -love

If you're just learning calculus, then I'd suggest getting a general calc textbook such as Thomas' or Stewart's book.

I'm reading through Courant right now and it's quite good. I can now see why others have recommended it in the place of Spivak.

Related to Pure Math Course: G.H. Hardy's A Course of Pure Math

What is "A Course of Pure Mathematics" by G.H. Hardy?

"A Course of Pure Mathematics" is a classic textbook written by British mathematician G.H. Hardy in 1908. It covers fundamental concepts in pure mathematics such as number theory, algebra, and analysis.

Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily intended for undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics. However, it can also be useful for anyone with a strong background in mathematics who wants to deepen their understanding of pure mathematics.

What are the main topics covered in "A Course of Pure Mathematics"?

The book covers a wide range of topics, including number theory, algebra, complex numbers, series, and calculus. It also introduces important concepts in analysis such as limits, continuity, and differentiability.

Is this book still relevant in modern mathematics?

Yes, "A Course of Pure Mathematics" is still considered a valuable resource for studying pure mathematics. While some of the notation and terminology may be outdated, the concepts and theories presented in the book are still fundamental to modern mathematics.

What makes "A Course of Pure Mathematics" a significant contribution to the field?

This book is significant because it presents pure mathematics in a rigorous and systematic manner, emphasizing the importance of proofs and logical reasoning. It also introduces many important ideas and concepts that have since become foundational to the field of mathematics.