Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pure mixed entangled confusion

1. Jan 3, 2010 #1
    I have read quite a bit on here and elsewhere, but am still coming to terms with pure, mixed, entangled and product states.

I know a state is either mixed or pure, but then is engtaglement a sub-class of being mixed? Or a sub-class of being pure? Or is entangled another name for pure? Or something different altogether?

Also is a product state another way to say mixed? Is it the opposite to entanged?

As you can see, I am very confused!

Thanks in advance of replies posted.
    Kop442000.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2010 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pure state = a projection operator for a 1-dimensional subspace, i.e. an operator of the form [itex]|\psi\rangle\langle\psi|[/itex]
    Mixed state = a density operator (a linear operator satisfying 2.6-2.8) that isn't a pure state

One way to see if a density operator [itex]\rho[/itex] is pure or not is to compute [itex]\operatorname{Tr}\rho^2[/itex]. The result is =1 if and only if the state is pure. (It's <1 for mixed states).

Entangled state = a state of a composite system that can't be expressed as a tensor product [itex]|\psi_1\rangle\otimes\cdots\otimes|\psi_n\rangle[/itex] (It would therefore have to be expressed as a linear combination of such tensor products).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook