Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to distinguish between pure and mixed states?

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    Is it possible, in principle, for an experiment to distinguish between an ensemble of pure states and an ensemble of mixed states?
    If so, how?
    In particular, I am thinking of an ensemble of particles whose spin has been measured, one at a time, on the "Vertical" axis. The ensemble consists of an equal number of spin-up particles and spin-down particles. Thus there should be no entanglement. This is the ensemble of pure states.
    The other ensemble has been prepared so that all particles are in a mixed state.
    Would a black hole consisting of one ensemble be different in any way from a black hole formed from the second ensemble?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2

kith

Science Advisor

You can't distinguish between a pure and a mixed state by using only a single observable (or axis in your example).

You can if you perform measurements wrt to different axes. For a pure state, you will find an axis where all members of the ensemble are spin up. For a mixed state, you can't find such an axis. For a maximally mixed state, the amount of spin up doesn't depend on the axis at all.

4. Jan 26, 2015 #3
    You're kidding. Why does everyone want to make them all Up? I said it is an ensemble consisting of an equal number of pure Up and pure Down.
    And you can measure them any way you like, I just want to know if you can get different results in SOME conceivable experiment.

5. Jan 26, 2015 #4

kith

Science Advisor

Maybe I misunderstood you. So in the first case, you have an ensemble which is formed by mixing two ensembles which correspond to pure states of spin up and spin down wrt to a certain axis. In the second case, you have a ensemble of particles in a mixed state. If this mixed state is maximal (i.e. if the probabilities for spin up and down are equal), you have the same density matrix in both cases and there's no way to distinguish them experimentally.

If in the second case, the state is not maximally mixed, you can use the method of my previous post to distinguish between the two ensembles.

6. Jan 26, 2015 #5
    According to John Baez, each particle in the pure state is described by a wavefunction, not a density matrix:
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/info_loss.html
    "Take a quantum system in a pure state and throw it into a black hole. Wait for some amount of time until the hole has evaporated enough to return to its mass previous to throwing anything in. What we start with is a pure state and a black hole of mass M. What we end up with is a thermal state and a black hole of mass M. We have found a process (apparently) that converts a pure state into a thermal state. But, and here's the kicker, a thermal state is a MIXED state (described quantum mechanically by a density matrix rather than a wave function). In transforming between a mixed state and a pure state, one must throw away information. For instance, in our example we took a state described by a set of eigenvalues and coefficients, a large set of numbers, and transformed it into a state described by temperature, one number. All the other structure of the state was lost in the transformation."

And the first ensemble has never necessarily been separated into two other ensembles. It might have been a mixed-state ensemble each of whose particles was separately measured on the vertical axis and passed on, in the preparation process.

7. Jan 26, 2015 #6

kith

Science Advisor

That's interchangable. The density matrix formalism is more general than the state vector / wavefunction formalism. For a pure state, you can use both but for a mixed state you have to use the former.

What John Baez writes is in accordance with my first post, so you should try to understand what I wrote. Your posts give off an argumentative vibe to me. I'm happy to assist if you want to learn but I'm not interested in arguing with you.

8. Jan 26, 2015 #7

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An ensemble of mixed states is an ensemble of pure states.

A mixed state is of the form Σpi |ui><ui|. Take an ensemble of such states and you end up with the same form.

Thanks
    Bill

9. Jan 26, 2015 #8
    So are you saying that we can always refer to an ensemble of mixed states as consisting of pure states, which have already been measured, even though the mixed states have not been measured?
    John Baez seems to be saying that the ensemble of pure states has more information than the ensemble of mixed states.

10. Jan 26, 2015 #9
    Does that mean that the information loss that John Baez ascribes to the difference between the density matrix and the wavefunction does not occur, and therefore there is no Information Paradox?

11. Jan 26, 2015 #10

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It's an ensemble of pure states, but that's not the same as the entire system, consisting of all the particles in the ensemble, being in a pure state.

How? You'll need to be more specific as to this preparation process.

We don't have a theory of quantum gravity so this question can't be answered. (I know you're interested in the black hole information paradox, but as I said in the thread in the relativity forum that spawned this one, we don't have an answer because we don't have a theory of quantum gravity, so there's no point in posing questions that assume there is a known answer on the issue.) This thread should stay focused on the question given in its title.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  12. Jan 26, 2015 #11

PeterDonis

2016 Award

He's using "Up" in a different sense than you are; what he means is that, for a pure state, you will be able to find some direction in space (which will not, in your example, be the direction you are calling "Up") along which you can orient the measuring apparatus so that the measurement will always give the same result. For a mixed state, you can't.

13. Jan 26, 2015 #12
    Do you mean that, on some axis, an Up particle will give the same result as a Down particle? If that were true, then it would be easy to distinguish the two ensembles. But some say they have the same density matrix.

14. Jan 26, 2015 #13

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Do you know the actual technical definitions of these terms? Have you worked through a basic textbook on QM where they are discussed? If not, I would strongly suggest doing so.

That said, you are missing a basic distinction, which I mentioned in a previous post, between the state of individual constituents of a system, and the state of the system as a whole, including all the constituents. Note carefully that Baez, in what you quoted, says "Take a quantum system and throw it into a black hole". He does not say "Take an ensemble of quantum particles and throw them into a black hole". When he says the system starts out in a pure state, he means the system as a whole; he does not mean each of the individual particles composing the system. The individual particles may have no well-defined "state" at all (this will be the case whenever the state of the system as a whole is not a simple product state, which will be true of most quantum systems).

15. Jan 26, 2015 #14
    "What we start with is a pure state and a black hole of mass M. What we end up with is a thermal state and a black hole of mass M."
    Or, for luminous matter, an oven.

16. Jan 26, 2015 #15

PeterDonis

2016 Award

As I said in the previous thread in the relativity forum: Baez' article is a statement of the problem, not a statement of the solution. You cannot help yourself to his scenario as a preparation process. Anyway, as I said in a previous post, this thread should stay focused on the title question, without bringing in the black hole information paradox. So we need a mundane preparation process for a mixed state that doesn't involve a black hole.

How would the (thermal) mixed state of the particles when they come out of the oven be described? How will the oven affect their spins?

17. Jan 26, 2015 #16
    I see. So even if you measure each particle in an ensemble, the ensemble is in a indeterminate state, although each of the particles has a known exact property. I presume this holds true for an ensemble of two particles?

18. Jan 26, 2015 #17

kith

Science Advisor

No.

His argument is that the initial state is a pure state and the final state is a statistical mixture of pure states. A pure state is a state of maximal knowledge because you can't obtain more information about your system by performing measurements without forgetting something. If you have a statistical mixture, you can obtain more information by performing a measurement, namely which pure state the system actually is in. So if you start with a pure state and end up with a mixed state, you have no longer a state of maximal knowledge and in this sense you have lost information.

As PeterDonis writes, the question whether this is a real loss of information or an artifact of the missing quantum gravity description cannot be decided.

19. Jan 26, 2015 #18
    I should think that each one's spin would be indeterminate. Or can we also speak of those spins as being exact also? I have been told here that we cannot speak of a particle having an exact property until it is measured (in a fundamental way, not merely unknown to that particular experimenter). Thus I should think that the measured particles have exact spins and the others... don't.

20. Jan 26, 2015 #19
    So it would not be unreasonable to say that each particle in the thermal mixture emitted by the black hole has an exact pure spin, even before it is measured?
    And neutrinos emitted in Hawking radiation in such a statistical mixture, is each one of them a pure states?

21. Jan 26, 2015 #20

kith

Science Advisor

It doesn't lead to contradictions but given only the density matrix there are many inequivalent ways to assign pure states.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook