PVC vs Copper Pipe Thermal Conductivity

In summary, copper is 400, PVC is .19, Earth is 1.5 and water is .58 thermal conductivity (k). The Earth and/or water surrounding the tube is 65°F. Turbulence creates a ballpark of a 40% increase in heat transfer.
Flyfisherman
Question#1 I would like to compare a 100' length of 4" PVC pipe with air in it surrounded by Earth and/or water. What length of 4" copper pipe would equal a 100' length of PVC?
Question#2 If the inside of the pipe had turbulence what length of non-turbulent 100' PVC 4" pipe would it equal?

I do not know the equations that is why I am on this site. The EngineeringToolBox website states that copper is 400, PVC is .19, Earth is 1.5 and water is .58 thermal conductivity (k). The Earth and/or water surrounding the tube is 65°F Turbulence creates a ballpark of a 40% increase in heat transfer. I also read that water surrounding a tube is 4x times faster at transferring heat than the earth.

I appreciate any help as I am not an engineer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a relatively complex answer to this question. You have 3 modes of heat transfer occurring. Natural convection on the outisde of the pipe due to no motion of the earth/water. This could be ignored if it is assumed that the rate of heat transfer is such that the outer surface of the pipe is kept constant at the given temperature. Secondly you have conduction through the pipes. Thirdly the internal forced convection of the air inside the pipes.

When you ask for the same length do you mean what length of pipe would result in the same net heat transfer to the internal fluid flow?

The rates of heat transfer are going greatly different due to the factor of 1000 difference in thermal conductivities. An initial temperature for the air would be required in order to get the air properties.

Internal forced convection: Q=hAs(Ts-Tair)
Conduction Q=kAs(dt/dx)

Yes, what length of copper pipe would equal 100' of PVC pipe?
We will assume the air temperature in the pipe is starting at 90°F.

Any others out there that can help on this?

Too open ended a question to answer in a few lines . Can you tell us more about the actual set up and what you are trying to achieve with this project ?

The air can be stagnate or flow through depending on what is easier to calculate. I am trying to figure out what length of copper pipe will equal x length of PVC pipe. I set 100' of 4" PVC pipe as an example.

.115 wall thickness for copper and .237 wall thickness for PVC

1. What is the difference in thermal conductivity between PVC and copper pipes?

The thermal conductivity of copper pipes is significantly higher than PVC pipes. Copper has a thermal conductivity of around 400 W/mK while PVC has a thermal conductivity of only 0.19 W/mK.

2. How does the thermal conductivity affect the efficiency of a plumbing system?

The higher thermal conductivity of copper allows heat to transfer more quickly, making it a more efficient option for hot water plumbing systems. PVC, on the other hand, is a better insulator and can help conserve energy by reducing heat loss.

3. Which type of pipe is better for hot water applications?

Copper pipes are generally preferred for hot water applications due to their higher thermal conductivity. They can heat up water faster and maintain the desired temperature for longer periods of time compared to PVC pipes.

4. How does the cost of PVC vs copper pipes compare?

PVC pipes are typically less expensive than copper pipes, making them a more budget-friendly option. However, copper pipes may have a longer lifespan and may require less maintenance, making them a more cost-effective choice in the long run.

5. Can thermal conductivity impact the safety of a plumbing system?

Yes, thermal conductivity can affect the safety of a plumbing system. If the pipes are not properly insulated, the heat from hot water flowing through copper pipes can cause burns or scalding, while PVC pipes may not be able to withstand high temperatures and could potentially melt or release harmful chemicals into the water.