PVD Vaccum Chamber -- How to clean up after Water leakage?

• Thread starter lamejane
  • Start date

Summary:

Solution to get rid of water in a vacuum chamber
Hello all ,

our PVD chamber experienced a water leakage from the cruible revoler area and unfortunately we are no longer able to achieve a stable Base pressure ( ~10e-6 mbar)

We do not have the option of a bake out. Is there any other way to get rid of water in the chamber ?
Ofcourse the water has been wiped out dry using clean room wipes, but i suspect there is still some monolayers of water adhering strongly to the chamber surface. Would repeated Nitrogen flusing help in getting rid of the water molecules? ?

1603207330088.png

Thanks !
Rgds
Jane

Answers and Replies

.Scott
Homework Helper
Applying a vacuum will chill the water - potentially causing it to freeze. But maintaining the vacuum long enough for any traces of water to remelt and evaporate should not be difficult. Likely just a few minutes.

Is it possible that something else happened during the clean-up that is compromising the seals?

bobob
Gold Member
Yes, repeated dry nitrogen flushing and pump down should do it. Removing screws and other things where water could be trapped will also help a lot. I see lots of nooks and crannies where there could be water trapped. I don't think you have to worry at all about the surfaces you have wiped down. What kind of pressure are you able to achieve? If you are getting to a few mtorr, you might look for a leak. Usually, water in screw threads and other nooks and crannies will manifest itself as a sort of "popping" on the vacuum gauge.

Last edited:
Likes lamejane
If you can heat the Nitrogen, things will go even quicker. If you have a 'nooks and crannies' problem, Acetone can help to get the water out in the open.

Likes lamejane
Is it possible that something else happened during the clean-up that is compromising the seals?
the root cause is unkown but we suspect that the seals were faulty.

Yes, repeated dry nitrogen flushing and pump down should do it. Removing screws and other things where water could be trapped will also help a lot. I see lots of nooks and crannies where there could be water trapped. I don't think you have to worry at all about the surfaces you have wiped down. What kind of pressure are you able to achieve? If you are getting to a few mtorr, you might look for a leak. Usually, water in screw threads and other nooks and crannies will manifest itself as a sort of "popping" on the vacuum gauge.
Thank you, This suggestion along with heating the chamber walls with a hot blowdryer (industry grade) prior to chamber evacuation helped.
We have no Leaks.

Likes .Scott and berkeman