Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pythagorean theorem based on cross product.

1. Jan 30, 2014 #1
    I was developing a pythagorean theorem proof based on the cross product of two vectors..Below is my final solution...My problem is I had to get around using the distance/magnitude formula because that is using the pythagorean theorem to prove the pythagorean theorem. But after searching, it may be true that the cross product itself is a generalization of the pythagorean theorem. I'm asking anyone to look at this proof who is real saavy with Linear Algebra and vectors to let me know if cross-product can or cannot be used to prove the pythagorean theorem..My final solution to ascertain the distance of the orthogonal vector, was to use a number line and absolute value based on the standard conventions of the orthogonal vector itself. Thank you for any help?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/202754816/3-d-Cross-Product-Proof-3-Vectors-Orthogonal-Solution [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2014 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think asserting the length of X to be [itex] \sqrt{A^2+B^2} [/itex] is fine. It's not immediately clear how you actually proved the pythagorean theorem though, since you haven't drawn any right triangles whose sides and hypotenuse have been calculated.

The statement that |YxZ| = area of parallelogram is far from obvious to me given that you are restricting yourself to never using the pythagorean theorem.

4. Feb 1, 2014 #3
  5. Feb 1, 2014 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Pythagorean theorem is so fundamental that I would be very surprised if much of math in your proof did not depend on it. I don't know if you have seen the proof of his theorem, but it is very basic. He proved it before the number system was even a system. Fractions were not understood. He thought it was a religion.

I can't resist recommending this for your Pythagorean entertainment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1E7I7_r3Cw

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook