Q about derivation of formula for current in AC with inductor

In summary, the derivation for I(t) in an AC circuit with an inductor assumes that the input voltage signal has been running forever and the circuit is at steady state. This means that any transient currents or offsets have already died out. Therefore, the constant in the equation must equal zero, and Imax occurs at t=0. This may seem counterintuitive when considering the effects of an inductor, but it is due to the imperfect materials and small resistance in the circuit.
xasry

Homework Statement

I'm reading fishbane's physics textbook right now, and in his derivation for I(t) in an AC circuit with an inductor, he does:

Vsin (wt) - L dI/dt = 0 (kirchoff's rule, V = voltage amplitude in the AC circuit, L = inductance)
then to find I, I= integral of (V/L sin(wt) dt)
which equals -V/(wL) cos (wt) + a constant

THEN he writes: "the constant must equal zero, because there is no constant emf to drive a constant current term. "

I don't understand this part. According to this then, Imax occurs at I(0) = -V/(wL). This doesn't make sense to me because when you have an inductor in the circuit, shouldn't it produce a back emf making the current slowly ramp up to a maximum?

Can someone please explain why the constant =0, and why it makes sense that Imax occurs at t=0?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivation assumes that the input voltage signal has been running forever, so the circuit is at steady state at time t = 0. In practical terms, imperfect materials means the resistance in the circuit may be tiny, but not zero. So any offset of current or potential that is not sustained by some constant source will be transients that "died" long ago.

You can produce the offset you describe if you suddenly start a sinewave voltage in this situation, and observe it decay over many cycles. In fact you can produce a range of "bias" offsets for the current by starting the sinusoid at different times in its cycle.

1. What is the formula for calculating current in an AC circuit with an inductor?

The formula for calculating current in an AC circuit with an inductor is I = V/Z, where I is the current in amps, V is the voltage in volts, and Z is the impedance in ohms. This formula assumes an ideal inductor with no resistance.

2. How is the formula for calculating current in an AC circuit with an inductor derived?

The formula for calculating current in an AC circuit with an inductor is derived using Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by impedance. In an AC circuit with an inductor, the impedance is equal to the inductance (L) multiplied by the angular frequency (ω), which is equal to 2π times the frequency (f). Therefore, the formula for current becomes I = V/(Lω).

3. What is the significance of the inductance value in the current formula for an AC circuit?

The inductance value in the current formula for an AC circuit represents the ability of the inductor to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is a measure of the inductor's resistance to changes in current, and the higher the inductance value, the greater the impedance and the lower the current.

4. Can the current formula for an AC circuit with an inductor be applied to real-world circuits?

Yes, the current formula for an AC circuit with an inductor can be applied to real-world circuits, but it may need to be modified to account for the resistance of the inductor. In this case, the formula becomes I = V/(Z+R), where R is the resistance of the inductor.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the current in an AC circuit with an inductor?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the current in an AC circuit with an inductor, such as the frequency and phase angle of the AC voltage, the material and construction of the inductor, and the presence of other components in the circuit. These factors can impact the impedance and therefore affect the current in the circuit.