1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Q] Do you understand what is numerical aperture and f number?

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    Hi, I studied concept of numerical aperture and f number

I learned numerical aperture(N.A) is measure of how much light can be entered into the

optical system, its mathematical expression is N.A = [tex]nsin\theta_m [/tex] where n is

index of refraction of immersing medium surrounding lens and [tex]\theta_m[/tex] is

maximum angle between optical axis and rim of lens.

I got a question. What is the point from which two line(one is from the point to rim of lens,

another is from the point along optical axis to lens) make maximum angle?

I think maximum angle is varying as the point moves along axis, So it is not clear for me.

And why can more light enter the optical system if n increases, causes N.A increase.

Please solve my question.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the cone angle used in the definition of NA has the apex located at the focal plane of the lens, not arbitrarily located along the optical axis.

Does that help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook