[Q]Momentum eigenstate normailization

• Thread starter good_phy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenstate
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a specific textbook on quantum mechanics, and the confusion surrounding a formula involving the Dirac-delta function. The conversation also touches on different conventions for the Fourier transform and the concept of a general vector product in a Hilbert space.
good_phy
Hi

I use liboff quantum mechanics textbook fourth edition.

5.25 fomula of 122 page is [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ikx} [/itex]

I thought it is nomalized, but i don't know exactly why [itex] \sqrt{2\pi} [/itex] is denominator.

I think it seemed to be linked Dirac-delta function [itex] \int_{\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2\pi}e^{i(k-k^{'})x} = \delta(k-k^')[/atex] but i have no idea what is going on exactly.

Please Help me

Thank for reading this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is because of his definition of Fourier transform. Different people use different conventions. In the end, they are all equivalent of course and should give the same results.

See, for example this link ("Other conventions" section).

Thank you so much that i found Fourier transform is included general innerproduct

in some mathematical space as l Fourier transform is just analogous to vector

innerproduct between momentum eigenfunction and statefunction. thank you.

but i have one questiong. what is hilbert space in which general vectorproduct is

defined?

good_phy said:
but i have one questiong. what is hilbert space in which general vectorproduct is defined?

What do you mean by general vector product?

It means innerproduct such as [tex]<\varphi_{k}|\varphi{_{k^'}}> [/tex] i described

product of this form as more general form of 'vector innerproduct in normal vector space'

Last edited:

1. What is a momentum eigenstate?

A momentum eigenstate is a quantum state in which the momentum of a particle is precisely defined. This means that the particle has a definite momentum value and can be described as a wave with a single wavelength. In other words, it is a state in which the particle's momentum is an eigenvalue of the momentum operator.

2. What does normalization mean in the context of momentum eigenstates?

Normalization refers to the process of ensuring that the total probability of finding a particle in any possible state is equal to 1. In the context of momentum eigenstates, this means that the probability distribution of the particle's momentum must be normalized to 1 in order for the state to be physically meaningful.

3. Why is normalization important for momentum eigenstates?

Normalization is important for momentum eigenstates because it allows us to accurately describe the quantum state of a particle and make predictions about its behavior. Without normalization, the probabilities of finding the particle in different momentum states would not add up to 1, making it impossible to make meaningful predictions.

4. How is normalization of momentum eigenstates achieved?

Normalization of momentum eigenstates is achieved by calculating the normalization constant, which is the square root of the integral of the wave function squared over all possible momentum values. This constant is then used to scale the wave function, ensuring that the total probability is equal to 1.

5. What is the significance of the normalization constant in momentum eigenstates?

The normalization constant in momentum eigenstates is significant because it represents the probability amplitude of the particle being in a specific momentum state. It is also used to calculate the expectation value for the momentum of the particle, which is a key quantity in quantum mechanics.