1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q of radiating electron according to classical theory

1. Aug 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    According to classical electromagnetic theory an accelerated electron radiates energy at the rate [itex]Ke^{2}a^{2}/c^{3}[/itex], where [itex]K = 6*10^{9} Nm^{2}/C^{2}[/itex], [itex]e = [/itex] electronic charge, [itex]a = [/itex] instananeous acceleration, and [itex]c = [/itex] speed of light.

a) If an electron were oscillating along a straight line with frequency [itex]v[/itex] (Hz) and amplitude [itex]A[/itex], how much energy would it radiate away during 1 cycle? (Assume that the motion is described adequately by [itex]x = A\sin{2 \pi v t}[/itex] during any one cycle.)

b) What is the [itex]Q[/itex] of this oscillator?

c) How many periods of oscillation would elapse before the energy of the motion was down to half the initial value?

d) Putting for [itex]v[/itex] a typical optical frequency(i.e., for visible light) estimate numerically the approximate Q and "half-life" of the radiating system.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]Q = \frac{\omega_{0}}{\gamma}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a, I took the integral of the rate that the energy radiates from 0 to [itex]\frac{1}{2v}[/itex]. So the energy radiated during 1 cycle is [itex]\frac{8 \pi^{4} v^{3} A^{2} K e^{2}}{c^{3}}[/itex] J

I feel confused about part b. I'm given the rate the energy radiates and from that I think I should find [itex]\omega_{0}[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] which will tell me about [itex]Q[/itex]. By knowing how much energy is being lost I can imagine how that tells you about the damping but right now I don't see how they're related. Something I was thinking was to integrate the given rate:
    [tex]\int \frac{dE}{dt} dt = \int \frac{K e^{2}}{c^{3}} \frac{d^{2} x}{d t^{2}} dt[/tex]
    [tex]E = \frac{1}{2} \frac{K e^{2}}{c^{3}} \left( \frac{dx}{dt} \right)^{2} + constant[/tex]
    Now it's starting to look like a familiar differential equation...but really, I'm not sure what going on here. I think my main question is: How is the quality of an oscillatory system related to the rate that it losses energy due to damping?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks good to me.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor#Definition_of_the_quality_factor for how Q relates to the energy stored in the oscillator and the energy loss per cycle that you found in part a.

4. Aug 18, 2013 #3
    Thank you for that formula. What is the energy stored in an oscilating electron?

5. Aug 18, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's just the energy of a simple harmonic oscillator.

6. Aug 18, 2013 #5
    Thats what I feel also. There is an electron that's oscillating around so it has some total energy and can be thought of as a harmoic oscilator. But now there's this concept where the energy is dissapating and from looking in the back of the book:
    [tex]Q = 2 \pi \frac{E}{8 \pi^{4} v^{3} A^{2} K e^{2}} = \frac{mc^{3}}{4 \pi v K e^{2}}[/tex]
    so
    [tex]E = m\left(Av\pi \right)^{2}[/tex]
    and that feels like it should look familiar but it doesn't. How is that like [itex]\frac{1}{2} k x^{2}[/itex]?

7. Aug 18, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

E = KE + PE. You can calculate E at any point of the cycle, say at x = 0. How would you express KE and PE at the instant x = 0?

8. Aug 18, 2013 #7
    KE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}m \dot{x}^{2}[/itex], when t = 0 the PE = 0 and the KE = m(Av*pi)^2. Right on TSny thank you.

9. Aug 18, 2013 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I differ by a factor of 2 in the expression for KE at x = 0.

I also differ by a factor of 2 in the expression for Q that you gave in post #5. But it's easy to drop such factors, so I could be off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted