QFT - Field operator commutation

In summary, the conversation is about a QFT course where the students are studying from the Otto Nachtman: Texts and Monographs in Physics textbook. The teacher has assigned an equation and the students are looking for advice or resources to understand it better. The conversation also mentions the use of LaTeX for better formatting of equations.
abivz
TL;DR Summary
Help with getting the dirac delta function from the field operator commutation
Hi everyone, I'm taking a QFT course this semester and we're studying from the Otto Nachtman: Texts and Monographs in Physics textbook, today our teacher asked us to get to the equation:
[Φ(x,t),∂/∂tΦ(y,t)]=iZ∂3(x-y)​
But I am unsure of how to get to this, does anyone have any advice or any textbooks or notes I could check? Thanks in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Nugatory said:
You will likely get better answers faster if you format your equation properly using Latex: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
thank you! I'm new to this forum and was unsure if I could type my equations in LaTex, thanks :)

It looks like the OP has re-posted the question in LaTeX in a new thread, so this one is closed to avoid duplication.

1. What is a field operator in quantum field theory (QFT)?

In QFT, a field operator is a mathematical object that describes the quantum state of a field at a specific point in spacetime. It is used to create and annihilate particles, and is an essential tool for understanding the behavior of quantum fields.

2. What is the commutation relation for field operators in QFT?

The commutation relation for field operators in QFT is given by [φ(x), π(y)] = iδ(x-y), where φ(x) is the field operator, π(y) is its conjugate momentum, and δ(x-y) is the Dirac delta function. This relation is crucial for understanding the quantization of fields and the creation and annihilation of particles.

3. How does the commutation relation for field operators relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The commutation relation for field operators is directly related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the value of a particle's position, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This is because the commutation relation implies that the position and momentum operators do not commute, and therefore cannot have simultaneous well-defined values.

4. Can field operators be used to describe all types of fields in QFT?

Yes, field operators can be used to describe all types of fields in QFT, including scalar, vector, and spinor fields. Different types of fields have different commutation relations, but they all follow the same basic principles of QFT and can be described using field operators.

5. How are field operators used in practical calculations in QFT?

In practical calculations in QFT, field operators are used to create and annihilate particles and to calculate their interactions. They are also used to calculate the expectation values of physical observables, such as energy and momentum, and to determine the probabilities of different particle interactions. Field operators are an essential tool for making predictions and understanding the behavior of quantum fields in QFT.