QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question?

In summary, the exponential of an operator can be written as an infinite series, and when acting on a momentum eigenstate, this series can be simplified using the fact that the momentum operator commutes with the momentum eigenstate and its eigenvalue is simply the momentum value.
43arcsec
In chapter 9 "Quantum Mechanical Transformations", example 9.3, can anyone explain how $$\hat{p}$$ in the exponential converts itself to q? Apologies in advance if this is very basic, but thanks for looking.

$$\hat{u}(a)|q>=e^{-i\hat{p}\cdot a} |q> $$

$$\hat{u}(a)|q>=e^{-iq\cdot a} |q> $$

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume ##|q\rangle## is a momentum eigenstate? Then its just a matter of using ##\hat{p}|q\rangle = q |q\rangle##

If that would be the case, then it's highly unfortunate to use q for labeling momentum in nonrelativistic QM. QM stays somewhere at the middle between Hamiltonian CM and QFT. In Hamiltonian CM "q" stands for generalized coordinate, while in QFT q goes along with p,r,s in Perturbation theory and Feynman diagrams to label 4-momenta. In "ordinary" QM, the momentum operator is p with a hat or without, its eigenket is |p> and its eigenvalue in the space of eigendistributions is also p. Why use q at all ?

Likes vanhees71
Fightfish said:
I assume ##|q\rangle## is a momentum eigenstate? Then its just a matter of using ##\hat{p}|q\rangle = q |q\rangle##
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Fightfish is correct: |q> is a momentum state. That was stated in the example; sorry, I should have included it. Unfortunately, I am still a bit confused. Why is it OK to write $$\hat{p} \quad for \quad e^{-i\hat{p}\cdot a}$$ in the footnote 4 of chapter 8, Lancaster writes in general:
$$e^{\hat{A}}=1+\hat{A}+\frac{1}{2!}\hat{A}\hat{A}+...$$
That seems a bit messier.

43arcsec said:
in the footnote 4 of chapter 8, Lancaster writes in general:
$$e^{\hat{A}}=1+\hat{A}+\frac{1}{2!}\hat{A}\hat{A}+...$$
That is the definition of the exponential of an operator.
Why is it OK to write $$\hat{p} \quad for \quad e^{-i\hat{p}\cdot a}$$
It's not - ##\hat{p}## is not the same as ##e^{-i\hat{p}\cdot a}##. When we act ##e^{-i\hat{p}\cdot a}## on the momentum eigenstate, what we really are doing is to use that expansion, which is in powers of ##\hat{p}##, act it on the momentum eigenstate, and then collect the terms back together to obtain another exponential, this time in terms of the eigenvalue.

One has:
$$e^{-i\hat{\textbf{p}}\textbf{a}}|\textbf{q}\rangle=[1+(-i\hat{\textbf{p}}\textbf{a})+\frac{1}{2!}(-i\hat{\textbf{p}}\textbf{a})^2+\cdots]|\textbf{q}\rangle$$
##\hat{\textbf{p}}=-i\vec{\nabla}## so it commutes with ##\textbf{a}## then, with ##\hat{\textbf{p}}|\textbf{q}\rangle=\textbf{q}|\textbf{q}\rangle##, one has:
$$(-i\hat{\textbf{p}}\textbf{a})|\textbf{q}\rangle=-i\textbf{qa}|\textbf{q}\rangle$$
$$(-i\hat{\textbf{p}}\textbf{a})^2|\textbf{q}\rangle=(-i\textbf{qa})^2|\textbf{q}\rangle$$
$$e^{-i\hat{\textbf{p}}\textbf{a}}|\textbf{q}\rangle=[1+(-i\textbf{qa})+\frac{1}{2!}(-i\textbf{qa})^2+\cdots]|\textbf{q}\rangle=e^{-i\textbf{qa}}|\textbf{q}\rangle$$

Fightfish and mbond, thank you so much for your explanations; they perfectly filled in the steps I was missing.

1. What is QFT for the Gifted Amateur?

QFT for the Gifted Amateur is a simplified version of quantum field theory (QFT) designed for those without advanced mathematical knowledge. It aims to explain the basic principles and concepts of QFT in an accessible way.

2. Who is the intended audience for QFT for the Gifted Amateur?

This book is primarily aimed at non-physicists with a strong interest in quantum mechanics and a basic understanding of mathematics and physics. It is also suitable for physics students who may be struggling with the complexities of traditional QFT textbooks.

3. What are the key concepts covered in QFT for the Gifted Amateur?

QFT for the Gifted Amateur covers the fundamental principles of QFT, such as quantization, fields, particles, symmetries, and interactions. It also delves into more advanced topics such as Feynman diagrams, renormalization, and the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. How is QFT for the Gifted Amateur different from traditional QFT textbooks?

QFT for the Gifted Amateur uses simplified language and avoids complex mathematical equations to explain the concepts of QFT. It also focuses on the conceptual understanding rather than the mathematical rigor, making it more accessible to non-experts.

5. Can QFT for the Gifted Amateur be used as a substitute for traditional QFT textbooks?

No, QFT for the Gifted Amateur is not meant to replace traditional QFT textbooks. It is a supplementary resource that can help non-experts gain a basic understanding of QFT. It is recommended to use this book in conjunction with a traditional QFT textbook for a more comprehensive understanding.