[QM] Expectation value in spin-1/2 state

In summary, the task is to find a spin-1/2 state that has an expectation value of <Jz> = 0 and is normalised. It is unclear if <Jz> is for a spin-one particle, but it is assumed based on previous notation used by the lecturer.
Lengalicious

Homework Statement

Basically I need to produce a state for a spin-1/2 particle such that the expectation value of <Jz> = 0 where <Jz> is for a spin-1 particle.

Homework Equations

Jz = (1 0 0, 0 0 0, 0 0 -1) <--[3x3] matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand how to do this because up till now we have been trying to find expectation values for observables in same spin states.

Anyways here's my attempt:

ψ* Jz ψ = <Jz>
= ψ* (1 0 0, 0 0 0, 0 0 -1) ψ

the reason I get no further than this is because I don't see how I'm supposed to find a spin-1/2 state which would be in the form of a [2x1] matrix and then multiply the [3x3] matrix by a [2x1] matrix, what's the deal here? I'm guessing I've completely misinterpreted something but I can't see what. .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can you be more precise with your question.
going from spin-1 to spin-1/2 doesn't really make sense, can you give us more context
on what your trying to do.

The exact question is as follows:
Produce a state of spin 1/2 particle such that when measuring <Jz> = 0, normalise that state. Can it be that at the same time <Jz> = 0 and <Jx> = 0?

It doesn't explicitly tell me that <Jz> is for a spin-one particle but I've just assumed that the J matrices are since that's what our lecturer has used as notation for spin-one particles and S for spin 1/2 particles. Hope this makes the question clearer?

What is the spin-1/2 state in quantum mechanics?

The spin-1/2 state is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. In quantum mechanics, particles are described by a wave function, and the spin-1/2 state refers to a specific type of wave function that can have two possible values for the spin, either "up" or "down". This concept is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

What is the expectation value in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value in quantum mechanics is a mathematical concept that represents the average value of a physical quantity, such as position, momentum, or energy, in a given quantum state. It is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the wave function and the corresponding operator, which represents the physical quantity. In the case of spin-1/2 state, the expectation value can be used to determine the probability of measuring a specific spin value.

How is the expectation value calculated for spin-1/2 state?

The expectation value for spin-1/2 state can be calculated using the formula:
Expectation value = (probability of "up" spin) * (spin value for "up" spin) + (probability of "down" spin) * (spin value for "down" spin)
The probability of each spin value can be determined from the square of the wave function, and the spin values for "up" and "down" are usually represented as ±1/2 respectively. By plugging in these values, the expectation value can be calculated for the given spin-1/2 state.

What is the significance of the expectation value in spin-1/2 state?

The expectation value in spin-1/2 state has several significant implications in quantum mechanics. It represents the average value of the spin in a given state and can be used to predict the outcome of a measurement. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in magnetic fields, as the spin is related to the magnetic moment of a particle. Additionally, the expectation value provides a way to compare different quantum states and determine which state has a higher probability of a specific spin value.

Can the expectation value in spin-1/2 state be measured?

No, the expectation value in spin-1/2 state cannot be directly measured. It is a mathematical concept that represents the average value of a physical quantity and cannot be observed directly. However, the expectation value can be used to predict the outcome of a measurement and can be indirectly verified through experiments.