1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[QM] Expectation value in spin-1/2 state

1. Dec 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Basically I need to produce a state for a spin-1/2 particle such that the expectation value of <Jz> = 0 where <Jz> is for a spin-1 particle.

2. Relevant equations

Jz = (1 0 0, 0 0 0, 0 0 -1) <--[3x3] matrix

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't quite understand how to do this because up till now we have been trying to find expectation values for observables in same spin states.

Anyways heres my attempt:

ψ* Jz ψ = <Jz>
    = ψ* (1 0 0, 0 0 0, 0 0 -1) ψ

the reason I get no further than this is cuz I don't see how i'm supposed to find a spin-1/2 state which would be in the form of a [2x1] matrix and then multiply the [3x3] matrix by a [2x1] matrix, whats the deal here? I'm guessing i've completely misinterpreted something but I can't see what. .

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2012 #2
    can you be more precise with your question.
    going from spin-1 to spin-1/2 doesn't really make sense, can you give us more context
    on what your trying to do.

4. Dec 27, 2012 #3
    The exact question is as follows:
    Produce a state of spin 1/2 particle such that when measuring <Jz> = 0, normalise that state. Can it be that at the same time <Jz> = 0 and <Jx> = 0?

It doesn't explicitly tell me that <Jz> is for a spin-one particle but I've just assumed that the J matrices are since thats what our lecturer has used as notation for spin-one particles and S for spin 1/2 particles. Hope this makes the question clearer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook