1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: Infinite Square Well -a/2 to a/2

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    I have read similar threads about this problem but I wasn't able to make progress using them.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider an infinite square-well potential of width a, but with the coordinate system shifted so that the infinite potential barriers lie at x=[itex]\frac{-a}{2}[/itex] and x=[itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex].

Solve the Schrodinger equation for this case to calculate the normalized wave function [itex]\psi[/itex]n(x) and the corresponding energies En

2. Relevant equations

Time Independent Schrodinger Equation (V(x)=0 within the well)
    -\hbar2[itex]\frac{1}{2m}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}[/itex])2[itex]\psi[/itex]=E[itex]\psi[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Skipping ahead to the general solution for [itex]\psi[/itex](x) , I get:

[itex]\psi[/itex](x) = Aeikx + Be-ikx, k = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}[/itex]

Using the boundary conditions,

[itex]\psi[/itex]([itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex])=Aeika/2 + Be-ika/2=0
    [itex]\psi[/itex]([itex]\frac{-a}{2}[/itex])=Ae-ika/2 + Beika/2=0,

together with some substitution I am able to prove that,

k =[itex]\frac{\pi}{a}[/itex]n

En =([itex]\frac{n\pi\hbar}{a}[/itex])2[itex]\frac{1}{2m}[/itex]

which I believe to be correct for infinite square well.

I run into trouble trying to solve for the constants A and B. My approach was to try and normalize the wavefunction and then use substitution to solve for A or B, but I can't seem to get anywhere after a certain point.
    I would expect to get cosines for n=1,3,5... and sines for n=2,4,6... based on what I know about the shape of the wavefunction, but I am unsure how to prove this mathemetically.
    Any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try plugging in your allowed values of k into the boundary condition equations. You'll get a different relationship between A and B depending on whether n is odd or even.

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    Ah, that's the ticket. It's probably easier without using exponential form, but I was able to prove that A=B for odd n (giving me a cosine) and A=-B for even n (giving me a sine). Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook