1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qns on potential energy and forces

1. Aug 8, 2006 #1
    Hello, i hope i posted this in the correct section..

I have a question:
    the potential energy of a body when it is at point P a distance x from a reference point O is given by V = kx^2, where k is a constant. what is the force acting on the body when it is at P?

the correct ans is 2kx in the direction of PO

the ans i got is kx in the direction OP. as work = force x distance, so force required to bring the body to point p is kx^2 / x .

could some please explain why is the correct ans so? thnk u so much!!
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Work is "force times distance" as long as the force is constant- if the force is a variable then the work is given by [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex]. Notice that this involves a "constant of integration". It is standard to choose that constant so that potential energy is 0 at some specific point; potential energy is always relative to some given point.

Going the other way, if work is a constant times distance, W= Cx then force is that constant: F= Cx/x= C. But if a more general function then [itex]F= \frac{dW}{dx}[/itex].
  4. Aug 8, 2006 #3
    The potential energy is positive. So there is an attraction toward the origin.

The force = - (dW/dx) = -2kx.
    So the force is directed from the point P to the point O, the origin.
  5. Aug 8, 2006 #4
    Thnx alot!!!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?