1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic equation solving with constraint.

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I've worked this problem for awhile. Its a several page of math problem with optimization, legrangians, cramers rule, etc to get to this point. All I need to do now is by hand solve this equation for x and y with the constraint.

2. Relevant equations

-0.03x^2 + 40x - 0.02y^2 + 5y+ 55000 = 0
    Subject to the constraint: x+y=3000

3. The attempt at a solution

I could put up the pages of work I've done to get to this point, but it really doesn't have any relevant info to help get to this point. I have the answers which is x=1100 & y=1900. Just don't know how to do this last step I've got to.

Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If your constraint is x+y=3000 then you just need to plug y = 3000-x into the quadratic.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
  4. Oct 28, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Geometrically, the quadratic equation in x and y represents an ellipse, and the constraint represents a straight line, so you will either get no solutions, one solution, or two solutions.

5. Oct 29, 2012 #4
    Thanks so much! This is exactly what was messing me up. Dono why I didn't think of that.

Thanks again!

6. Oct 29, 2012 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

You're welcome :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook