Difficulty solving the following quadratic equation

In summary: Not if you clear the left of all fractions - that was the point behind the "cubic equation" comment above.One well accepted way to solve the equation is to express the left hand side formally as a rational function by using (x-5) as a common denominator.Another well accepted way to solve the original equation is to express the left hand side formally as a rational function by using (x-5) as a common denominator.
Daniel Tyler
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi,
I'm having difficulty solving the following quadratic equation

x^2-(660/x-5)-91=0. The fact that the middle term has an x-5 rather than just an x that is throwing me

Can anyone please help?
Kind Regards
Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel Tyler said:
Hi,
I'm having difficulty solving the following quadratic equation

x^2-(660/x-5)-91=0. The fact that the middle term has an x-5 rather than just an x that is throwing me

Can anyone please help?
Kind Regards
Daniel
A quadratic equation is one that is of the form ax^2 + bx + c. This equation does not meet that criteria. Do you see why?

Can you do some algebra to rewrite your equation to be in the form ##Ax^2+Bx+C=0## where A, B, and C are constants?

phinds said:
A quadratic equation is one that is of the form ax^2 + bx + c. This equation does not meet that criteria. Do you see why?
Yes phinds I do but then how do I solve this eqn?

robphy said:
Can you do some algebra to rewrite your equation to be in the form ##Ax^2+Bx+C=0## where A, B, and C are constants?
I don't see how?

There might be a trick that makes this easier, but I don't see it. You can always multiply through by the denominator x (or is x-5 the denominator?) and expand to Ax^3 + Bx^2 + Cx + D = 0. Those have closed form solutions, but they involve some complex arithmetic and a re more difficult than solving a quadratic.

Your equation is RATIONAL; not quadratic. The denominator is x, as written. Condense to a single rational expression and look for the zeros.

robphy said:
No, this cannot be done for the equation in question.If your equation is ##\displaystyle\ x^2-\frac{660}{x-5}-91=0\,,\ ## then you should have included the extra parentheses as follows below.

x^2-(660/(x-5))-91=0.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
Your equation is RATIONAL; not quadratic. The denominator is x, as written. Condense to a single rational expression and look for the zeros.
Can you expand on this symbolipoint? If I convert it to a single expression it will become a cubic equation where it will still be problematic to resolve all roots

Daniel Tyler said:
Can you expand on this symbolipoint? If I convert it to a single expression it will become a cubic equation where it will still be problematic to resolve all roots
It will be still a RATIONAL equation, not a cubic equation. The numerator will be cubic but the denominator will be linear.

x^2-(660/x-5)-91=0
x^2-660/x+5-91=0
x^2-660/x-86=0
x^2(x/x)-660/x-86(x/x)=0
(x^3-660-86x)/x=0
(x^3-86x-660)/x=0

symbolipoint said:
It will be still a RATIONAL equation, not a cubic equation. The numerator will be cubic but the denominator will be linear.

x^2-(660/x-5)-91=0
x^2-660/x+5-91=0
x^2-660/x-86=0
x^2(x/x)-660/x-86(x/x)=0
(x^3-660-86x)/x=0
(x^3-86x-660)/x=0
apologies but my equation is actually x^2-(660/(x-5))-91=0 so that solution will not work

Daniel Tyler said:
apologies but my equation is actually x^2-(660/(x-5))-91=0 so that solution will not work
Multiply the whole equation with (x-5): you get a cubic equation. Try to find a simple root among the dividers of the constant term. (There is one)

symbolipoint said:

x^2-(660/x-5)-91=0
x^2-660/x+5-91=0
x^2-660/x-86=0
x^2(x/x)-660/x-86(x/x)=0
(x^3-660-86x)/x=0
(x^3-86x-660)/x=0
Not if you clear the left of all fractions - that was the point behind the "cubic equation" comment above.

statdad said:
Not if you clear the left of all fractions - that was the point behind the "cubic equation" comment above.
That changes the expression, and therefore the function. The task of checking for the ROOTS would be equivalent to dealing with the properly resulting quadratic equation. Objective finally understood.

symbolipoint said:
That changes the expression, and therefore the function. The task of checking for the ROOTS would be equivalent to dealing with the properly resulting quadratic equation. Objective finally understood.
There is no "function" here, just an expression in an equation.

There is an equation to be solved. The left hand side of the equation is a function.

One well accepted way to solve the equation is to multiply both sides by the denominator appearing on the on the left hand side, namely (x-5). The result is an equation with a cubic function on the right hand side, i.e. a cubic equation. Solving this equation is equivalent to finding the zeros of that cubic function.

Another well accepted way to solve the original equation is to express the left hand side formally as a rational function by using (x-5) as a common denominator.
##\displaystyle\ x^2-\frac{660}{x-5}-91\ ## becomes ##\displaystyle\ \frac{(x^2-91)(x-5)-660}{x-5}\ ##
The zeros of this function are the same as the zeros of the numerator. The numerator is the same cubic function found in the first method of solution.

As pointed out by ehild in Post #12, there is one easy to find root for this cubic equation.

The other two roots can then be found in a straight forward manner.

Likes symbolipoint
"The left hand side of the equation is a function."

No, there is a rational expression there, as the equation is written. I understand all the work to find solutions to the equation.

statdad said:
"The left hand side of the equation is a function."

No, there is a rational expression there, as the equation is written. I understand all the work to find solutions to the equation.
What is it that makes the left hand side not be a function?

SammyS said:
There is an equation to be solved. The left hand side of the equation is a function.

One well accepted way to solve the equation is to multiply both sides by the denominator appearing on the on the left hand side, namely (x-5). The result is an equation with a cubic function on the right hand side, i.e. a cubic equation. Solving this equation is equivalent to finding the zeros of that cubic function.

Another well accepted way to solve the original equation is to express the left hand side formally as a rational function by using (x-5) as a common denominator.
##\displaystyle\ x^2-\frac{660}{x-5}-91\ ## becomes ##\displaystyle\ \frac{(x^2-91)(x-5)-660}{x-5}\ ##
The zeros of this function are the same as the zeros of the numerator. The numerator is the same cubic function found in the first method of solution.

As pointed out by ehild in Post #12, there is one easy to find root for this cubic equation.

The other two roots can then be found in a straight forward manner.
That is the basic method described for resolving the whole problem.

SammyS said:
What is it that makes the left hand side not be a function?
Usage. The left side of that equation is a rational expression - it is not considered in isolation.

statdad said:
There is no "function" here, just an expression in an equation.
Both. Same thing; just different attention. Treat as a function or treat as expression according to what you want.

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is one of the most widely studied equations in mathematics and has many real-world applications.

What makes solving quadratic equations difficult?

The difficulty in solving quadratic equations lies in finding the values of x that satisfy the equation. This is because there are often two solutions to a quadratic equation, and these solutions can be complex numbers, making them harder to work with. Additionally, the process of solving quadratic equations requires a good understanding of algebraic concepts and techniques.

What are the different methods for solving quadratic equations?

There are several methods for solving quadratic equations, including factoring, completing the square, using the quadratic formula, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and is useful in different situations.

How can I determine if a quadratic equation has real solutions?

A quadratic equation will have real solutions if its discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is greater than or equal to zero. If the discriminant is less than zero, the solutions will be complex numbers. If the discriminant is equal to zero, the solutions will be equal, resulting in one real solution.

Are there any tricks for solving difficult quadratic equations?

Yes, there are some common tricks that can make solving difficult quadratic equations easier. These include factoring by grouping, using the quadratic formula with imaginary numbers, and using the quadratic formula to solve for variables other than x. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with the different methods for solving quadratic equations.