Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadrilateral Sides Proportional Section

1. Jun 26, 2006 #1
    Sorry guys, I thought it would be easy, but it is not.

I have a random quadrilateral A,B,C,D, drawn and a random point M inside of it.
    Now, I want to draw a line passing through the point M and crossing the sides AB and DC at points P and Q.
    So far so good, but I want more, in addition the line is required to be constrained by this ratio of distances:

AB:DC=AP:DQ

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2006 #2
    I got some progress here.....

Definition:
    If any line bisects the oppozite sides of a Qudrilateral A, B, C, D in points P and Q in such a manner the ratio AB:DC=AP:DQ holds than this line is called a Sweeping Line.

Theorem by Milan Anthony Vlasak:

"There is only one Parabola which is tangent to all Sweeping Lines of a Quadrilateral."

Any objection to that ?
    You guys are mathematitions, I am a surveyor.

Milan

4. Jul 10, 2006 #3
    I can now EDIT the Definition:

Edited Definition:
    If any line INTERSECTS the oppozite sides of a Qudrilateral A, B, C, D in points P and Q in such a manner the ratio AB:DC=AP:DQ holds than this line is called a Sweeping Line.

5. Jul 11, 2006 #4

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

If you extend AD and BC until they meet at point R, then RM is a sweeping line.

I don't think any parabola could be tangent to all sweeping lines of a quadrilateral.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  6. Jul 11, 2006 #5
    Orthodontist,

If a line connects the midpoint of AB and the midpoint of CD than extention of this line will not generally pass the intersection point R of AD and BC.

Such midpoint-midpoint line is still a sweeping line according to my definition of a sweeping line: AB:DC=AP:DQ

(Nothing to do with collineation, cross ratio and Papus theorem)

Milan

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?