Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qualitative chemistry and precipitate colour

1. Jul 20, 2007 #1
    Can anyone give me an example of a red or yellow precipitate that can be made out of any of the following: Cobalt chloride, calcium hydroxide, iron, sodium carbonate, iron sulphate or copper sulphate. Or any chemical that can be made out of these e.g. sodium hydroxide, copper hydroxide, etc? Sounds a bit random, I know, but just out of interest, I would like to know (also, I would like to use the rest of these chemicals:smile:).
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is much more fun if you do it yourself! Do you have access to a CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics? Any edition will do....
  4. Jul 20, 2007 #3
    He has access to Wikipedia though. Just search the different possible combinations.
  5. Jul 24, 2007 #4
    iron oxide is red, sulfur is yellow, how to get them is your venture.
    start mixing things, apply electricity if needed, heat, cold, whatever it takes. Thats how chemists become chemists. themoreyou do the more you learn
    electricity is very useful tool, it can force reactions against their natural bias or speed them up considerably
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?