Quality Clothes: Ralph Lauren & 501 Jeans UK/USA Availability

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, the group discusses the longevity of their clothes and the tendency for people to over-wash them. They mention brands such as Ralph Lauren and Levi's, and the difficulty of finding certain styles in the UK. They also touch on the cost-effectiveness of buying cheap clothes versus investing in higher quality ones. Finally, they joke about being a "hobo" and the possibility of one member doing a shopping spree at outlet stores.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Years ago i bought two Ralph Loren (spelling) shirts they are still going strong but are a bit faded, they are made from real tough material and have good length tails.
Also 501 button jeans, i can not find them in Uk do they sell them in the USA.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the thing is people usually over wash their clothes. I don't see how a shirt worn for 2 hours needs to be washed every time the laundry is done. Good jeans are easy to find cheap though, Levi's is a pretty decent brand.

kingdomof said:
Well, the thing is people usually over wash their clothes. I don't see how a shirt worn for 2 hours needs to be washed every time the laundry is done. Good jeans are easy to find cheap though, Levi's is a pretty decent brand.

:smile: Where i work a shirt NEEDs washing every day, the RL ones have out lasted many lesser ones.

Ah, I just recommend buying some cheap single colored T shirts. The quality is very agreeable and the style is pretty minimalistic.

Yes, there are still Levi's 501s around but they're becoming hard to find.

Then again, I'm not the best source of information about shopping. I don't shop much...I don't push bamboo shoots under my fingernails, either.

lisab said:
I don't shop much...I don't push bamboo shoots under my fingernails, either.

:smile:

I'm trying to remember the last time I wore a shirt less than two hours other than a scrub top, which very definitely needs washing after 2 hours of use (that's why I wear the scrubs, to keep my good clothes clean).

I have some pretty special sweat that can cause some lower quality dyes to fade for my workout shirts and such.

My favorite shirts are all Ralph Lauren, they fit me the best. I'm far less particular about pants.

And you reminded me, I need to do some laundry.

lisab said:
Yes, there are still Levi's 501s around but they're becoming hard to find.

Then again, I'm not the best source of information about shopping. I don't shop much...I don't push bamboo shoots under my fingernails, either.

The shop i bought my last jeans from is not there any more, my daughter told me it had been gone years so--------.

chasely said:
And you reminded me, I need to do some laundry.

Why did you have to remind me?

wolram said:
The shop i bought my last jeans from is not there any more, my daughter told me it had been gone years so--------.

Why not just get some nice cheap clothes, from Primark or something?:bugeye: I am not disgusting am I?

Focus said:
Why not just get some nice cheap clothes, from Primark or something?:bugeye: I am not disgusting am I?

Cheap would not last very long, when i buy clothes they have to last for years and stand up to some abuse, that way i only have to clothes shop once every five years or so.

Focus said:

"Cheap" clothes do not end up very cheap in the long run when you consider how much it costs to continually replace them. If I spend $40 on a good shirt that lasts me for 5 years of heavy use, that's MUCH cheaper than spending $10 on a cheap shirt that I need to keep replacing every 6 months.

wolram said:
Cheap would not last very long, when i buy clothes they have to last for years and stand up to some abuse, that way i only have to clothes shop once every five years or so.

I do pretty much the same, cheap clothes do last me pretty long. Embracingly my mum sometimes keeps buying me clothes because I don't tend to do that very often. I don't know about shirts, I only wore some for 5 weeks or so. Not a fan of formal clothes. I can see myself being a hobo for the rest of my life :biggrin:

In the UK you can get 501 button fly on line still.

http://www.jeans-online.pl/index.php?language=en&levis=levisreg-red-tabreg-jeans-jeans-mens

Yes you can still find 501's. They have tons of them at the Levi's outlet in Lancaster, Pa. The typical American department store should also have them.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=53006&CatID=60972&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=146e8f0&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CmCatId=53006|60970|60972 You want quality clothes? Transfer me $500 US and I will go shopping at the Lancaster outlets for you. I will get you tons of Brooks Brothers, Levi's, Ralph, Guess, Banana Republic, Polo, and Tommy stuff that is 50% off.
WHen you wash clothes, you don't really need to use hot water anymore. Detergents today work just as well in colder water. Hot water fades clothes faster too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy cheap socks and don't care how long they last. at 3 or 4 bucks for a dozen of them I'll replace them after one or two washings. Socks are about the only piece of clothing where going the cheap route is cost effective in the long run.

hypatia said:
In the UK you can get 501 button fly on line still.

http://www.jeans-online.pl/index.php?language=en&levis=levisreg-red-tabreg-jeans-jeans-mens

Thanks Hypatia, you have done your good deed for the day :smile:

tribdog said:
I buy cheap socks and don't care how long they last. at 3 or 4 bucks for a dozen of them I'll replace them after one or two washings. Socks are about the only piece of clothing where going the cheap route is cost effective in the long run.

I do the same, socks all ways feel itchy to me after a few washes.

gravenewworld said:
You want quality clothes? Transfer me $500 US and I will go shopping at the Lancaster outlets for you. I will get you tons of Brooks Brothers, Levi's, Ralph, Guess, Banana Republic, Polo, and Tommy stuff that is 50% off.

Yeah sure I'll jus... wait a minute :rolleyes:

FAQ: Quality Clothes: Ralph Lauren & 501 Jeans UK/USA Availability

What is the difference between Ralph Lauren and 501 jeans?

Ralph Lauren and 501 jeans are two different brands of clothing. Ralph Lauren is a luxury fashion brand known for its high-quality and classic designs, while 501 jeans are a specific style of jeans made by the brand Levi's. The main difference between the two is the price point and the overall aesthetic.

Where can I find Ralph Lauren and 501 jeans in the UK and USA?

Ralph Lauren and 501 jeans are widely available in both the UK and USA. They can be found in major department stores, such as Macy's and Nordstrom, as well as in specialty clothing stores and online retailers. Additionally, both brands have their own standalone stores in major cities.

Are Ralph Lauren and 501 jeans considered "quality" clothes?

Both Ralph Lauren and 501 jeans are considered high-quality clothing brands. They use premium materials and have a reputation for durability and timeless style. However, the term "quality" can be subjective and may vary depending on personal preferences and individual experiences with the brands.

Are there any differences in availability of Ralph Lauren and 501 jeans between the UK and USA?

While both brands are widely available in both the UK and USA, there may be slight differences in availability between the two countries. For example, certain styles or sizes may be more readily available in one country compared to the other. However, overall, both the UK and USA have a wide range of options for purchasing Ralph Lauren and 501 jeans.

Do Ralph Lauren and 501 jeans have sustainable and ethical production practices?

Both Ralph Lauren and 501 jeans have made efforts towards sustainability and ethical production practices. Ralph Lauren has implemented a sustainability strategy that includes using sustainable materials and reducing their environmental impact. Levi's, the parent company of 501 jeans, has also implemented sustainability initiatives and has been recognized for their ethical labor practices.