Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quality clothes

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Years ago i bought two Ralph Loren (spelling) shirts they are still going strong but are a bit faded, they are made from real tough material and have good length tails.
    Also 501 button jeans, i can not find them in Uk do they sell them in the USA.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2
    Well, the thing is people usually over wash their clothes. I don't see how a shirt worn for 2 hours needs to be washed every time the laundry is done. Good jeans are easy to find cheap though, Levi's is a pretty decent brand.

4. Aug 6, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

:smile: Where i work a shirt NEEDs washing every day, the RL ones have out lasted many lesser ones.

5. Aug 6, 2008 #4
    Ah, I just recommend buying some cheap single colored T shirts. The quality is very agreeable and the style is pretty minimalistic.

6. Aug 6, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, there are still Levi's 501s around but they're becoming hard to find.

Then again, I'm not the best source of information about shopping. I don't shop much...I don't push bamboo shoots under my fingernails, either.

7. Aug 6, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I'm trying to remember the last time I wore a shirt less than two hours other than a scrub top, which very definitely needs washing after 2 hours of use (that's why I wear the scrubs, to keep my good clothes clean).

8. Aug 6, 2008 #7
    I have some pretty special sweat that can cause some lower quality dyes to fade for my workout shirts and such.

My favorite shirts are all Ralph Lauren, they fit me the best. I'm far less particular about pants.

And you reminded me, I need to do some laundry.

9. Aug 6, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

The shop i bought my last jeans from is not there any more, my daughter told me it had been gone years so--------.

10. Aug 6, 2008 #9
    Why did you have to remind me?

Why not just get some nice cheap clothes, from Primark or something?:bugeye: I am not disgusting am I?

11. Aug 6, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Cheap would not last very long, when i buy clothes they have to last for years and stand up to some abuse, that way i only have to clothes shop once every five years or so.

12. Aug 7, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Cheap" clothes do not end up very cheap in the long run when you consider how much it costs to continually replace them. If I spend $40 on a good shirt that lasts me for 5 years of heavy use, that's MUCH cheaper than spending $10 on a cheap shirt that I need to keep replacing every 6 months.

13. Aug 7, 2008 #12
    I do pretty much the same, cheap clothes do last me pretty long. Embracingly my mum sometimes keeps buying me clothes because I dont tend to do that very often. I dunno about shirts, I only wore some for 5 weeks or so. Not a fan of formal clothes. I can see myself being a hobo for the rest of my life :biggrin:

14. Aug 7, 2008 #13
  15. Aug 7, 2008 #14
    Yes you can still find 501's. They have tons of them at the Levi's outlet in Lancaster, Pa. The typical American department store should also have them.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.asp...ttrtype=&attrvalue=&CmCatId=53006|60970|60972

You want quality clothes? Transfer me $500 US and I will go shopping at the Lancaster outlets for you. I will get you tons of Brooks Brothers, Levi's, Ralph, Guess, Banana Republic, Polo, and Tommy stuff that is 50% off.

WHen you wash clothes, you don't really need to use hot water anymore. Detergents today work just as well in colder water. Hot water fades clothes faster too.

16. Aug 7, 2008 #15
    I buy cheap socks and don't care how long they last. at 3 or 4 bucks for a dozen of them I'll replace them after one or two washings. Socks are about the only piece of clothing where going the cheap route is cost effective in the long run.

17. Aug 7, 2008 #16

wolram

Gold Member

18. Aug 7, 2008 #17

wolram

Gold Member

I do the same, socks all ways feel itchy to me after a few washes.

19. Aug 7, 2008 #18
    Yeah sure I'll jus... wait a minute :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?