Quantifying P or PO4 in an unknown solid

• Thread starter Baho Ilok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solid
In summary, the conversation discusses the methods of accurately measuring the phosphorus or PO4 content in a solid sample of phosphate salts from a precipitation reaction. The two main methods suggested are using colorimetric assays for measuring the concentration of phosphate in solution or using analytical instruments to quantify P or PO4 in a solid. The standard approach for analyzing steel involves dissolving the sample and determining P as ammonium molybdophosphate or using a colorimetric assay.
Baho Ilok
I have a solid sample possibly containing a few species of phosphate salts from a precipitation reaction. I am only concerned with the phosphorus in the solid sample. What are the possible methods of accurately measuring the P or PO4 content in the solid? Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ygggdrasil said:
Can you dissolve the phosphate? There are some nice colorimetric assays for measuring the concentration of phosphate in solution: for example, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0076687966080145
Yes I have also thought of this but I also thought maybe there are other possibly more accurate methods using some analytical instruments that can quantify the P or PO4 in a solid.

Anyway, thank you for your insight. I really appreciate it!

Standard approach in the analysis of steel was to dissolve the steel sample, oxidize P to PO43- and to determine it as the ammonium molybdophosphate (or with a colorimetric assay, as Ygg suggested).

1. What is the best method for quantifying P or PO4 in an unknown solid?

The most common method for quantifying P or PO4 in an unknown solid is by using a spectrophotometric technique, such as inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectroscopy (ICP-OES) or inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS). These methods provide highly accurate and sensitive results.

2. Is sample preparation important for accurate quantification of P or PO4?

Yes, proper sample preparation is crucial for accurate quantification of P or PO4 in an unknown solid. This includes thorough homogenization and digestion of the sample to ensure that all of the P or PO4 is in a soluble form for analysis.

3. Can I use a portable analyzer to quantify P or PO4 in an unknown solid?

Portable analyzers, such as X-ray fluorescence (XRF) or handheld spectrometers, can provide a quick estimation of P or PO4 content in a solid sample. However, these methods are not as accurate as laboratory-based techniques and may require calibration with known standards.

4. What is the detection limit for quantifying P or PO4 in an unknown solid?

The detection limit for quantifying P or PO4 in an unknown solid varies depending on the analytical method used. Generally, laboratory-based techniques such as ICP-OES or ICP-MS have lower detection limits compared to portable analyzers, with a range of 0.01-0.1 parts per million (ppm).

5. Can I quantify both P and PO4 in an unknown solid using the same method?

Yes, most analytical methods for quantifying P can also measure PO4. However, it is important to note that some methods may only detect either P or PO4, so it is necessary to ensure that the chosen method can measure both analytes for accurate quantification.