1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantinzation of Energy & Planck help!

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1
    Can any one help me with this question? Thanx

Calculate the frequency of the photon emitted when an electron in an atom changes from (-2.42e-19 joules) to (-21.76e-19 joules).

I know that i'm going to use E=hf and h=6.63e-34. I'm not sure what I do with the 2 enery levels, do i subtract them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

A photon is emitted when an electron falls into a lower energy level. The photon must equal the difference in energy due to conservation of energy. E will equal the difference in energy levels. You can then use algebra to determine f, the frequency.

4. Jan 5, 2006 #3
    Electromagnectic Wave Help

Can anyone help me with this problem?

What is the wavelength for an FM radio signal if the number on the dial reads 98.5 MHz? C=3e8

I know that c=f wavelength, and MHz is a million hertz I thought I could do 1E6 x 98.5=9.85e7 and then I could just solve for the wavelength with 3e8=9.85e7wavelength but I keep getting the wrong answer. Am i missing something??

5. Jan 5, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What answer are you getting?

6. Jan 5, 2006 #5
    My mistake I got that one it is 3.05. But another where there frequency is 25 GHz. To find the wavelength on this one i would 3e8/25e9=0.012, and that is wrong. Thanx

7. Jan 5, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If its 25 ghz... then 0.012m is correct...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?