1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantization/hydrogen atom problem

1. Nov 17, 2005 #1
    I have a homework problem that goes like this.
    A beam of electrons is incident upon a gas of hydrogen atoms. What minimum speed must the electrons have to cause the emission of 656 nm light from the 3 -> 2 transition of hydrogen?
    So I had a couple of thoughts
    1) It was the velocity needed to have state 3 orbit, but that's not right.
    2) It was the velocity needed to have n=2 orbit, but that's not right either.
    3) It was the velocity such that an electron had KE equal to the difference in E of states 3 and 2 but that's not it either.
    I suppose the wavelength of the light has something to do with this but it's just the wavelength of hydrogen emission 3->2 so I dunno what that tells you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

In order to produce transitions from n=3 to n=2 , you have to get the atoms into the n=3 state to begin with. Atoms are normally in their ground state (n=1).
  4. Nov 18, 2005 #3
    So if the incoming electrons had KE greater than the ionization energy it could remove an electron from the n=1 orbit and the atom completely. So a KE equal to the difference of the n=1 E and n=3 E would move it to the n=3 orbit? Then the orbiting electron simply falls back to the n=2 level?
    *goes to try it*

It works!
    Danke sehr
    Does it just go back to n=2 because it's attacted to the nucleus or?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?