Quantum computation research->via cs or phys or ee

In summary, olipoli_386 is a double majored ee/phys student and is interested in quantum computation. He thinks physics is the most active field in terms of QC research at the moment, and believes that computer science will not be as heavily involved in QC development for a while. He also believes that the EE's will have the field for a long time.
olipoli_386
Hi all! this is my first hour on Physics forums!
so my question is, which of the 3 named fields (cs, ee, phys) are more active in quantum computation/information?
I am a double majored ee/phys and I've passed some cs courses. as far as I see, any quantum lab will contain researches from all these fields.I love all of them. and I know chosen one, I can still study from the others and compensate what I really looked for.
so generally which will have better future? is developing faster? is better for admission.
by the way can I be admitted for cs program, when I haven't majored in it?
thanx for the taking the time to read this( and if possible replying) :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be interested in knowing this as well.

Hey olipoli_386 and welcome to the forums.

To narrow it down, what specific area of quantum computation are you interested in? If you are unsure, and want to get an idea of the different research interests, you should take a look at this:

http://www.vcpc.univie.ac.at/~ian/hotlist/qc/research.shtml

I replied to your message, olipoli, but I will try and write a more structured answer here.

Which is the most active field in terms of quantum information processing? In my opinion, it is physics, which is sensible because QC is largely a physics problem right now. EE is starting to edge in because we need people to build the devices, and there has been lots of work in EE to build nanoscale devices. Recently I was at the DAMOP conference where an EE from Sandia demonstrated that they have created a device that is capable of storing 300-400 ions (though of course not entangled). So the experimental physicists and EE's are working together to try and make this work.

In most respects, computer science isn't heavily involved in QC because QC just isn't quite there yet. Imagine that classical computing was around for a long time before we got around to abstraction away certain functions of a computer (remember, it goes from machine code to assembler level, to some other junk until you get to the typical languages, like Python or Java. In terms of algorithms, the algorithms are still very low level, and in the case of adiabatic quantum computation they need to be mapped to the specific topology of the device (think analogue computers). Still, algorithms are a huge aspects to QC. Recall that Peter Shor was the reason QC got so much attention, when he came up with Shor's Algorithm for factoring large numbers. The one thing that may help you as a CS person is that if you have some background in mathematical modeling, you would be valuable in the research sector where someone might want to simulate the behavior of a quantum computer for testing purposes. In fact, this is what I'm working on right now (I'm spending the next couple months at a national lab). I have a background in physics as well as programming and a focus on CS, so it is a good situation for someone with my skills and background.

So which of these will develop faster and have a better future? This is only my opinion, but I think the EE's will have it really good for a long time. If you're into building integrated circuits, you might find it interesting that D-Wave does superconducting ICs, and is actually hiring right now. Superconductors seem to be the best candidate for a practical QC right now, but D-Wave specifically is implementing an adiabatic QC, which is different than the gate-model computer that you may typically think of. Still, it uses qubits and may be able to solve difficult problems much more quickly than classical computers. But if you're working on quantum computing, you will likely know enough about the algorithms (if you're a good, competent researcher anyway) as an EE, as well as the ability to fabricate the actual devices, which makes you very valuable to any company who wants to buy, use, and maintain a QC (think Lockheed Martin, Amazon, McKinsey, anyone with logistics problems, etc.).

In response to your question about getting admitted to a CS program without having majored in it, yes you can. In fact, I am doing that very thing right now. I've been majoring in physics, and I'm planning on a Ph.D in CS (although probably not for quantum computing, though it's still possible... I'll have to wait to see how the field pans out for CS people). One thing you want to show the school is that you know the fundamentals of CS and you won't crash and burn when you take your first classes. Knowledge of basic programming languages (C, C++, or Java), data structures and algorithms (very important!), complexity/computability, architecture, and possibly networking (I've tried to put them in some sort of most to least important). Personally, I'll be studying for the CS GRE so that I'll have something to show to these schools that has to do with CS (some schools, namely GaTech, require a CS GRE, at least for PhD admissions). You could also take some classes in CS, the major ones anyway, and get good grades in them. Being an EE will also help you with admissions, being closer to CS than physics.

One last thing, you'll want to look at the link posted by chiro just above. I think it's an excellent resource. Because the field is small right now, you'll want to make sure you're applying to departments that are doing things that you are interested in. Are you wanting to work on the chips? The theory? The theory of the chips, or theory of computation itself? Algorithms? And are there enough people with your specific idea in mind? It would be nice to be rather open-minded about what you want to do, as that will give you more options. I say contact these professors also and see what they want from a potential grad student, and what sort of background will make you useful to them.

@hadsed
I've been looking for answer for a long time(at least this whole semester!), and I've never found a person to talk about and compare all three fields.THANX
now I have a bright picture and category of the problem. I'm still on the dilemma but @ least I know the info I need and can look deeper. it was a great problem I didn't know were to attack. Wow I'm relieved
wish you luck with the cs Phd program
thanx again

Last edited:
@Chiro:
thanks Chiro
now, that's the question I'm not sure about it!...I'm going to find out about it...thanx for the link ;)

1. What is quantum computation research?

Quantum computation research is a field of study that combines principles from quantum mechanics and computer science to develop new computing technologies. It involves using quantum systems, such as qubits, to perform calculations and solve problems that would be difficult or impossible for classical computers.

2. How is quantum computation research different from classical computation research?

Quantum computation research differs from classical computation research in several ways. Firstly, it utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics, which allow for the representation and manipulation of information in ways that are not possible in classical computers. Additionally, quantum computation research focuses on solving problems that are considered intractable for classical computers, such as factorization and simulation of quantum systems.

3. What are some potential applications of quantum computation research?

Quantum computation research has the potential to revolutionize several industries, including cryptography, chemistry, and artificial intelligence. It could also lead to the development of more powerful and efficient computers, as well as advanced technologies such as quantum communication and quantum sensors.

4. What are some current challenges in quantum computation research?

One of the main challenges in quantum computation research is the development of reliable and scalable quantum hardware. This involves overcoming the effects of decoherence and noise, which can cause errors in quantum calculations. Additionally, there is a need for more efficient and accurate algorithms and software for quantum computers.

5. How can someone get involved in quantum computation research?

As quantum computation research is a multidisciplinary field, there are several ways to get involved. One can pursue a degree or certificate in quantum computing, such as a Master's or PhD in physics, computer science, or electrical engineering. There are also online courses and workshops available for those interested in learning more about quantum computation. Additionally, one can join a research group or collaborate with experts in the field to contribute to ongoing research projects.