Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Computing presentation ideas

1. Nov 16, 2015 #1
    Hey everyone,

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but here it goes:

I have to do a presentation on a topic on quantum computing.

Does anyone know any cool doable topics? We have been working through Ballentine's quantum mechanics book, to give you an idea of the level.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 21, 2015 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

What is the current state-of-the-art in terms of a real quantum computer? Eg. how is Google's quantum computing group coming along?

http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~martinisgroup/

Incidentally, Ballentine is not a good book for quantum mechanics, as it does not give the axioms of the subject correctly. I would recommend a standard text such as Nielsen and Chuang's "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information".

5. Nov 22, 2015 #4
    thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean that it's not a good book for quantum computing or do you actually mean quantum mechanics ? I liked the book so far

6. Nov 22, 2015 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

Ballentine is not a good book for the axioms of quantum mechanics, in particular Chapter 9 is very misleading. When compared to a standard text like Nielsen and Chuang, Ballentine lacks the state reduction postulate, colloquially called the "collapse of the wave function".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook