Quantum confined stark effect

In summary, the variational methods for a finite well under the influence of an electric field are available, but the perturbation approach is too complicated for someone just starting out.
Cerkit
Hi. Does anyone know how to perform perturbation theory for a finite well under the influence of an electric field?
If not or also what other method is there to calculate the shift in subband energies under the influence of an E field in a quantum well?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The very first treatments of the QCSE were performed with variational methods, see for example:

"Band-Edge Electroabsorption in Quantum Well Structures: The Quantum-Confined Stark Effect" by Miller et al. (Phys. Rev. Lett. 53, 2173–2176 (1984)) or the more detailed follow-up paper "Electric field dependence of optical absorption near the band gap of quantum-well structures" also by Miller et al. (Phys. Rev. B 32, 1043–1060 (1985)).

A perturbation approach is given in "A Semi-Empirical Model for Electroabsorption in
GaAsIAlGaAs Multiple Quantum Well Modulator Structures" by Lengyel et al. (IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 26 (1990), p. 296.).

Ok. Well as of now I have read through the variational method. I have also found a variational method for a triangle potential well but that is for an infinite well. The only explicit variational method I have found for a finite well is G.Bastard, E.E. Mendez ,Variational calculations on a quantum well in an electric field but the problem with that is that it only gives the calculations for weak fields and says that the expectation values of the hamiltonian for strong fields is not shown because it is too complicated. I am trying to find a fairly simple method which can account for both weak and strong fields. In general I just need an approximation to the perturbation/difference in the energy levels.

Last edited:
Also does anyone have any idea what kind of accuracy can be obtained through using infinite well approximation rather than the finite one?

Just do the math, its not that bad. You find the unperturbed wavefunction and calculate first order shift in energy as usual.

Which method do you advise me to use as a first timer. Perturbation theory apparently doesn't account for strong fields...?

What is the Quantum Confined Stark Effect?

The Quantum Confined Stark Effect is a phenomenon in which the energy levels of a quantum system are shifted due to the presence of an external electric field. This effect is commonly observed in quantum dot structures.

How does the Quantum Confined Stark Effect work?

The Quantum Confined Stark Effect arises due to the interaction between the electric field and the confined electrons in a quantum system. The electric field causes a shift in the energy levels of the system, resulting in changes in its optical and electrical properties.

What are the applications of the Quantum Confined Stark Effect?

The Quantum Confined Stark Effect has various applications in quantum technology, such as in the development of quantum dot lasers, single-photon emitters, and quantum sensors. It is also used in optoelectronic devices for information processing and communication.

What is the difference between the Quantum Confined Stark Effect and the Stark Effect?

The Stark Effect refers to the energy shift observed in atoms and molecules when an external electric field is applied, whereas the Quantum Confined Stark Effect specifically refers to the energy shift in confined quantum systems, such as quantum dots. The Quantum Confined Stark Effect is a manifestation of the Stark Effect in a nanoscale system.

What are the future developments in the study of the Quantum Confined Stark Effect?

Scientists are currently exploring ways to control and manipulate the Quantum Confined Stark Effect to enhance its applications. This includes developing new materials and structures to achieve stronger and more controllable electric fields and investigating the effects of temperature and strain on the phenomenon.