Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Entanglement inside & outside Event Horizon

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    It is said nothing can escape the Event Horizon, not even light. How about an entangled pair that is inside the event horizon and outside it. Would they still be entangled such that they still form correlations?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Dec 16, 2011 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

yes, they are entangled, but there's no way to find out whether they are entangled or not based on experiments outside the horizon only; detecting entanglement requires non-local experiments, i.e. measuring both 'particles' and exchanging information regarding the results; this exchange is not possible in the presence of the event horizon, therefore we are not able to learn about the presence of a second particle inside the event horizon and whether the two 'particles' are entangled or not

an idea would be to try to understand this from the perspecive of an observer inside the event horizon; for this observer entanglement should be verifiable / falsifiable b/c he can receive information from the outside

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  5. Dec 16, 2011 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Actually, there is. First measure the outside particle, and then jump into to black hole to measure the inside one. Of course, after the measurement you will crash into the black-hole singularity (or whatever sits in the black-hole center), but at least you will die happy knowing that the horizon does not destroy the correlations.

6. Dec 16, 2011 #5

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

You are right; this is what I mean by

I corrected my post above

7. Dec 17, 2011 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I imagine that the impact factor of the resulting manuscript would be rather low, even if you took some peer-reviewers along with you.

8. Dec 17, 2011 #7

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

In order to get the paper written and peer-reviewed before spaghettification the black hole has to be rather large

9. Dec 19, 2011 #8

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Unless you use superluminal neutrinos to send information OUT of the black hole. :tongue:

10. Dec 19, 2011 #9

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I believe the black hole in the center of our galaxy would be large enough.

11. Dec 19, 2011 #10

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I have to check the formulas for free-fall starting at the event horizon; peer review could be OK but 'publication' becomes rather obscure ;-)

12. Dec 19, 2011 #11
    And even still, I hear the tidal forces inside will tear you apart pretty rapidly.

That said, don't take my word for it, my mate told me. Presumably he went there over the summer or something.

EDIT: Wait, they'd probably squish you actually, wouldn't they?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook