Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Field Theory - Charged Field

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    The question is as follows;

'A free quantum field theory is related to an infinite number of quantum mechanical harmonic oscillators as unit mass particles on springs with spring constants k, where k takes all values. Now imagine the following scenario: these particles also have non-zero charges, and I suspend the system in a constant electric field Eo. Ignoring the effects of any outgoing radiations due to the oscillations of charged particles, show that this system of harmonic oscillators is equivalent to a massive scalar field theory with a classical source term int(d^4x J*(phi)). Where J is the source and phi is the scalar field. Find the connection between Eo and J.

I've been working on this all day and I feel like I've gotten no where. It *should* be an easy question. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Particles only have local charges, not global. Global charge is always net zero.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook