Quantum Field Theory. Electric discharge

In summary, the triboelectric effect is the result of adhesion and charge imbalance between two materials that come into contact and separate. While friction can enhance the effect, it is not the sole cause. Quantum field theory is a complex subject that involves the movement of particles and energy, but it is not necessary to explain the triboelectric effect. It would take extensive study to fully understand QFT.
arnoldcena3000
How work triboelectricity in QFT? Materialists exchange electrons as well as in classical theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you need quantum effects to explain the tribo electric effect. ( Unless the cat you are rubbing belongs to Shroedinger :wink:)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect said:
Although the part 'tribo-' comes from the Greek for "rubbing", τρίβω (τριβή: friction), the two materials only need to come into contact for electrons to be exchanged. After coming into contact, a chemical bond is formed between parts of the two surfaces, called adhesion, and charges move from one material to the other to equalize their electrochemical potential. This is what creates the net charge imbalance between the objects. When separated, some of the bonded atoms have a tendency to keep extra electrons, and some a tendency to give them away, though the imbalance will be partially destroyed by tunneling or electrical breakdown (usually corona discharge). In addition, some materials may exchange ions of differing mobility, or exchange charged fragments of larger molecules.

The triboelectric effect is related to friction only because they both involve adhesion. However, the effect is greatly enhanced by rubbing the materials together, as they touch and separate many times.[4] For surfaces with differing geometry, rubbing may also lead to heating of protrusions, causing pyroelectriccharge separation which may add to the existing contact electrification, or which may oppose the existing polarity. Surface nano-effects are not well understood, and the atomic force microscope has enabled rapid progress in this field of physics.

Likes arnoldcena3000
anorlunda said:
I don't understand why you need quantum effects to explain the tribo electric effect. ( Unless the cat you are rubbing belongs to Shroedinger :wink:)
I just wanted to learn in quantum field theory, electrons also move from one object to another object, for example, when there is an electrical discharge when I touch another person or the door handle?

arnoldcena3000 said:
I just wanted to learn in quantum field theory, electrons also move from one object to another object, for example, when there is an electrical discharge when I touch another person or the door handle?

No. The things you mention are not quantum physics. Quantum field theory is a very advanced subject. It takes years of study to get to QFT.

What is your educational background?

Did you understand that stuff I posted from Wikipedia?

Are you looking for ways to learn more physics?

Last edited:
anorlunda said:
No. The things you mention are not quantum physics. Quantum field theory is a very advanced subject. It takes years of study to get to QFT.

Are you looking for ways to learn more physics?
I apologize for the stupid question. I recently heard about Quantum Field Theory.
I do not need any math, I just want to know how these processes are happening.

anorlunda said:

You might want to answer these questions.

Vanadium 50 said:
You might want to answer these questions.
I have a school education.
I understood the information from Wikipedia.
I want to clarify how this works in Quantum Field Theory.
Is it also the transfer of electrons?
Thank you

Your question can't be answered on an Internet forum. The answer would be longer than a thick book.

For an introduction to QFT, try this video.

Likes arnoldcena3000
thanks for the video, very interesting. Once again I apologize. I just want to understand in quantum field theory that electrons are also transferred from one object to another, as in the classical theory? Thank you

arnoldcena3000 said:
thanks for the video, very interesting. Once again I apologize. I just want to understand in quantum field theory that electrons are also transferred from one object to another, as in the classical theory? Thank you

Sorry, the answer is no. But a full explanation would be too long.

Thread closed.

1. What is Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It is based on the concept of quantum fields, which are mathematical representations of physical particles that interact with each other through the exchange of virtual particles.

2. How does QFT relate to electric discharge?

Electric discharge is a phenomenon where a gas becomes ionized and conducts electricity. QFT helps to explain this process by describing how the electrons in the gas interact with each other and with the electric field, resulting in the transfer of energy and the production of light or heat.

3. What are some applications of QFT in electric discharge?

QFT has been used to study and understand various types of electric discharge, such as lightning, plasma discharges, and electric arcs. It has also been applied in the development of technologies such as gas discharge lamps, plasma displays, and particle accelerators.

4. What are the main principles of QFT?

The main principles of QFT include the correspondence between particles and fields, the uncertainty principle, and the concept of symmetry and symmetry breaking. It also involves the use of mathematical tools such as Feynman diagrams and renormalization to calculate and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

5. What are some current challenges in QFT and electric discharge research?

One of the main challenges in QFT and electric discharge research is the development of a unified theory that can fully explain and predict the behavior of all types of particles and fields. There is also ongoing research to improve the accuracy and predictive power of QFT calculations and to better understand the fundamental aspects of quantum mechanics. Additionally, the practical applications of QFT in areas such as energy production and materials science are still being explored and developed.