1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Quantum Field Theory: The Why, What and How by T. Padmanabhan

1. Strongly Recommend

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Lightly Recommend

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Lightly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strongly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mar 20, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 27, 2017 #3
    I would also like to know what are people's thoughts on this.

5. Oct 27, 2017 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I like this book because if offers a rather fresh view of QFT, different from most other existing QFT books. For instance, even though the book is written for high-energy physicists, it contains a lot of condensed-matter style of thinking, especially with respect to interpretation of UV divergences.

6. Oct 27, 2017 #5
    Will maybe its a good supplement for Zee, and Peskin.
    Just start with it alongside with Zee, and After finish it, go for Peskin, I think Padmanabhan is excellent writer, he have books about Astrophyiscs and Gravity.

7. Oct 27, 2017 #6
    What about the level of the textbook? Does it compare to Peskin's?

8. Oct 27, 2017 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

At the level of technical difficulty, it is comparable, but Peskin is somewhat more difficult. At the level of conceptual depth, I think Padmanabhan is much deeper.

9. Oct 27, 2017 #8
    You can say that this book is the Mini-version of Zee book,I really surprised in the way Padmanabhan explain things , you can't compare it to Peskin, since Peskin is about how to compute things, and this book is about how to think the right way in QFT, but if you mix these two together you'll be very Suprised that you learn QFT better.

10. Oct 27, 2017 #9
    A little off topic but, what do you think of Manoukian's two-volume textbook on Quantum Field theory?

11. Oct 27, 2017 #10
    A little off topic but, what do you think of Manoukian's two-volume textbook on Quantum Field theory?

12. Oct 27, 2017 #11

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I haven't seriously study it, mainly because my first impression was not very high. But I like the idea of the second volume to put the both major competitive approaches to quantum gravity in one book.

13. Oct 28, 2017 #12
    Is Padmanabhan's book suitable as a supplement for a first course (Blundell, Schwarz, etc)?

14. Oct 29, 2017 #13
    Yes it is, Trust me, Its a wonderful book to get idea what QFT is, its like zee without GUT and Application Chapters,

15. Oct 29, 2017 #14
    A question. I have been through nearly all of Blundell's textbook (QFT for the gifted amateur) and a big chunk of Zee's QFT nutshell.
    Do you think that Padmanabhan's has anything new to offer me? Or, do you think it is time to go to higher level textbooks or is Padmanabhan's textbook at an even slightly higher level than Blundell's and Zee's?

16. Oct 29, 2017 #15

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, then I'd recommend to try Weinberg's three-volume set (starting with Vol. I of course).

17. Oct 29, 2017 #16
    I heard that Weinberg's volumes are even more advanced than Peskin's textbook though.

18. Oct 29, 2017 #17

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, but if you really worked through Blundell, I think you should be able to understand Weinberg already. If you think you need something in between, I'd rather recommend than M. Schwartz's book than Peskin&Schroeder. The only textbook, I'd not recommend is Zee's Nutshell. I find it pretty confusing since the nutshell chosen was too small to adequately cover the comprehensive amount of topics Zee aims to present.

19. Oct 29, 2017 #18
    Thanks.
    And, how is the level of Padmanabhan's textbook compared to these?

20. Oct 29, 2017 #19

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know Padmanabhan's book yet. So I can't say anything about it.

21. Oct 29, 2017 #20
    Padmanabhan is at the level of zee and Blundell, If you study Padmanabhan and Zee, You must go for advanced book like Peskin, Weinberg is Complete but I think you must take it after Peskin, But another thing I need to say, I never study from Schwartz Book, but this doesn't mean you don't take it, people hear like it I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted